webcam help

Reaction score
i just got the microsoft lifecam vx-1000. i cant get it to work online. ive got win7 home premium 64bit. msn and messenger dont have an option to use a webcam even though the box says it will work with them. my internet securuty program disabled the driver cause it said the driver iscausing a major instabilaty problem. its also disabled msn and messenger for the same reason. when i checked the drivers it said they were 32bit drivers. i checked for newer drivers but there isnt any. all i can do with the web cam is take picks and vids to save then attach to emails. ive tried several webcam sites bt none will let me use my webcam. before i had the webcam the sites had the option to use a webcam but after i installed it the options were no longer there. as there r no instrutions on how to use it online or how to configure it for web use i need some help to get it doing what its supposed to do.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Reaction score
im using kaspersky 2010. it keeps finding trojans in the windows updates and drivers i download from microsoft. most downloads i get r either corrupt not valid win32 apps or have security probs.

Reaction score
thats the driver and software ive already got. i just checked it. i tried a pcline webcam yesterday and had the same prob with that. no programs except the software that came with it can find the webcam.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
TURN OFF Kaspersky 2010 while downloading from a trusted site like Microsoft, a lot of people have been having issues with it in Windows 7 for some reason. Why its doing that I'm not sure.

Just disable Kaspersky momentarily the turn it back on. Also the Windows Update drivers a usually a little out of date by a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

Reaction score
microsoft isnt a trusted site. im always finding trojans or viruses in updates. ive had 4 total system failers after updates. ive ony had the pc 3 months and had to format the hd 4 times cause of updates causing problems. usualy when i have to restart after an update the pc has a critical error on restart and wont start. not even safe mode works. but since i got kaspersky i dont have that problem. it finds and blocks the updates. when i turn it off the update gets through and causes fatel errors. norton and mcaffe didnt find the te trojans thats why i got kaspersky. so im not turning it off to get the updates. if win7 didnt keep bullying me about updates i would turn off updates. they cause most of the errors on a pc. i had the same prob with older versions of windows with updates. norton and mcaffee just dont find the trojans. i used pccillian95 on win 95 and that spotted and blocked them. alng with about 200 viruses that were on my pc that norton didnt spot.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That's strange about your issues with M$ Updates. I have no issues at all and my ESET Smart Security is not picking up a thing.

Are you using Internet Explorer? That may cause the issues because of the Active X controls. IE in not a very secure browser at all.

Reaction score
i use firefox 3.6 and safari. i stopped using explorer in the 90s. i used to use netscape but they dont make it anymore. i can download it but its not compatible with win7. i also stopped using norton and mcaffe cause they nver found any viruses. pccillan was the best but dont think thata around anymore. from what ive seen online avg and kaspersky r the best around now. my pc came with norton and mcafee preinstalled but had nothing but trouble with them. after i got kaspersky my pc was a lot more stable. thats cause it disables any drivers or updates that have something wrong with them. ive always had trouble with updates going right back to win 3.1. so have most of my family and friends. my pc worked perfect for the 1st month. but then i got a net connection. thats when it started going wrong. it had a total system failer as soon as it got its 1st updates. as i didnt go online at all except for the updates i know thats what caused it. plus now i got kaspersky it tells me it has blocked a new driver or update and why. when i read the report it says that its updates from MS that r causing my system to become unstsble or there is a trojan in the update. i tried my old pccillin95 and that said the same thing even though its way out of date. pccillin didnt need updates as it taught it self about new viruses. if it couldnt deal with a virus it would send a report in to get help. but thats getting off topic. its getting the webcam to work i need help with. ive got the latest drivers and software. ive got the newest version of live messenger. that took 4 downloads befoer i got it work. the 1st 3 were corrupt. there is no webcam opton in it even though it says it works with a webcam. ive tried several webcam sites none can find my webcam. only the software that came with it can use the webcam. all that does it let me take picks or vids to save then attach to emaiks, thats all i can do with it. it says on the box its win7 compatible and works with most IM services. so why wont it work with any of them?

Reaction score
That's strange about your issues with M$ Updates. I have no issues at all and my ESET Smart Security is not picking up a thing......
Yes it is. A lot of people use Kaspersky with no apparent issues with trojans and viruses in MS updates. If MS was carrying large numbers of viruses and Trojans in their updates, there would be an overwhelming flood of complaints about it from businesses and individuals alike.
With such a huge malware problem as described, personally I'd start searching elsewhere for the source.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It sounds like your only way forward is a clean install of Windows 7 and making sure you do not install Kaspersky until your system is completely updated. Just make sure you leave Windows Firewall and Defender active and on while doing the install and update and then put in Kaspersky afterwards

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You might try using ESET and see how it works for you. It comes with a free 30 trial in either the AV version or the Smart Security version w/firewall.

What brand is your webcam? You should be able to go to their website and download the latest driver for it.

Now I hate to say this, because I despise anything with the Yahoo name attached to it, but have you tried Yahoo Instant Messenger to see if it works? It works well because I had to tweak it for an older friend of mine who is computer illiterate.

Ask a Question