Web browser issues.

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I thought I would open a new thread about web browser problems.
I will start this off...
When ever I open a new tab on any web browser, including IE, google chrome, and safari; it takes at least a minute to open. Whilst this new tab is opening, the whole web browser window is inactive.
I can still use other programs (slowly by the way), but the web browser becomes inactive until the new tab opens.
I thought about buying more RAM. I currently have 1gb installed and was thinking if I add 2gb more, would i see a noticable difference.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taking a minute to open a new tab doesn't sound right at all - even my 1.3Ghz laptop with 512MB does it in a few seconds. Do you have any software that could be interfacing with all those browsers (such as plugins). Also, if you temporarily disable your security software does that stop the problem?

Reaction score
Hey Ian I have gone onto task manager, went on processes and memory, to show most usage. It says IE is using the most, then sidebar, then windows explorer, and then windows desktop manager, to name the top 4.
I disabled my security software (Kaspersky) and no change in the delay of opening a new tab, what could it be?

Reaction score
What happens if you shut down all your gadgets? What does that do to the new tab opening speed, if anything?

Have you tried openDNS? It sped up surfing here noticeably.

Just some thoughts.....:)

Reaction score
Also check if you have a security add on that checks web sites, this wont be connected to yoru anti virus on off button it will be a seperate active x installation that will need to be disabled. well active x or a browser exe.. personally I use firefox and limit my add ons

Reaction score
Hello again, well I have moved forward in this dilema, what happened was -
When I tested the other web browsers I still had IE open, which caused google chrome and safari, to be super slow, (rookie mistake). However when i close IE and open up the other web browsers seperately they are super fast.
So I am still having problems with IE, however I will be sticking to gooogle chrome as my default web browser. If anyone knows how to fix this IE problem I would be greatful.
I have tried all the disabling the anti-virus, and security software stuff. I have also checked task manager to see what is going on and nothing is really taking many resources.
I dont think I have any security add-ons, if I do where can I find them?
Thankyou alll in advance :]

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
In IE, go to Tools > Manage Addons and then you can view all plugins and try disabling them in groups :)

Reaction score
I tried that, to no avail, this has really stumped me?

Reaction score
Do you have a large number of sites listed in IE-->Tools-->Internet Options-->Security-->Restricted Sites-->Sites?

If so, THIS may apply to you.

Reaction score
I have no sites listed under this section of internet explorer. :(

Reaction score
Hmmmmm.....time for the odd thoughts:

Have you ever had Norton Anti-Virus installed, per chance? If so, Google or Bing "Norton Software Removal Tool". It should be on Symantec's site. Run it. Try IE again.

Is this a clean install of Windows 7 or an upgrade from a previous build? If it is an upgrade from a previous build, try a clean install. Upgrades can be bad sometimes.

LAST RESORT SOLUTION: Do you own a hammer?:viking:

Reaction score
Time for the Vitual Priest :lol: - IE8 is possessed this time
Time for "Norton Anti-Demon".

Possesion Detected!!
Click "Yes" to sign 7 year contract,
"No" to Get Thee Behind Me,
or any other key to Exorcise.
WARNING: Clicking "Yes" may result
in heat and/or vomit damage to your system.
Use only under advice of clergy.
("Exorcise" not available in Los Angeles.)
:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be in town until Tuesday, 2 shows a day.

Ask a Question