WD Elements External HD Freezes my Comp....

Reaction score
I researched on Google, loads of people have this same problem but with different drives. So, I want to transfer a new Hitler parody I made. I plug in my Elements drive, let it start up, and when I hear the "ting-tong" sound of hardware that was plugged in the computer freezes. The mouse is movable, but when you click on the Taskbar, it turns white, showing that it is not responding. I try to CTRL ALT DEL, but nothing happens. Like I said, my mouse moves, and I can click on Google Chrome for example, but it won't open. Anybody have a fix for this? Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sorry for the "no response". WD Elements external hard drives have had issues with this in the past, along with other brands too as you stated.

I know you're going to think this is coming from left-field, but your computer specs only show a 300 watt "stock" power supply. I believe you've reached your limit with the PSU. With the hardware you're running you're right at the upper limit for 300 watts.

You might try borrowing a larger wattage PSU and see if that may cure the situation. OEM power supplies are not known for their ability to absorb extra load once they get past 75% of their rated capacity.

I have three external hard drives and have no problems at all. I can run all three drives, a USB flash drive, a Zen X-Fi player, my Kindle, and my LG phone on the external ports with no issues at all.

Reaction score
Sorry for the "no response". WD Elements external hard drives have had issues with this in the past, along with other brands too as you stated.

I know you're going to think this is coming from left-field, but your computer specs only show a 300 watt "stock" power supply. I believe you've reached your limit with the PSU. With the hardware you're running you're right at the upper limit for 300 watts.

You might try borrowing a larger wattage PSU and see if that may cure the situation. OEM power supplies are not known for their ability to absorb extra load once they get past 75% of their rated capacity.

I have three external hard drives and have no problems at all. I can run all three drives, a USB flash drive, a Zen X-Fi player, my Kindle, and my LG phone on the external ports with no issues at all.
Sorry for bumping. Anyway, that might be the problem. Whenever the computer freezes, I force turn it off via the power button, restart it, then the problem seems to be non existant. I can plug in the EHD and nothing happens, no freezing, nothing. It works perfectly. So I'm not sure what exactly could be causing this.

Reaction score
Hey guys. More info for today, maybe you can help me.

So I got a message on Action Center asking me to check for solutions for unresolved problems. I clicked, and it said Video Card Stopped Working, the following components were in the message

WD-20110817-1510.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Any ideas?

Ask a Question