SOLVED warnings in device manager

Reaction score
Hi...was wondering if I could get some thoughts on what to do with yellow exclamations on portable devices in device manager and on the computer in Devices and printers in windows 7,...on a new gateway desktop. Its only been a week and I have been trying to get everything set up but to no avail. I have only a wireless adapter and a hp printer on usb ports, but there are five exclamations under portable devices. The printer and wireless adapter seem to be working fine...I did however install the adapter as a plug and play and then got a message in the action center with a link that downloaded software from linksys to install it..and so I did it again. The warnings were there before that though.
Before I downloaded the adapter software I had problems with windows starting...the screen froze on the gateway logo with no files or startup menu. Gateway support said I would have to remove my adapter before each start up..and it worked that way but after installing the adapter again I no longer have to remove it. Its crazy though because I started my computer and the power to my printer was on and that also stopped windows from starting. Anyway..any suggestions about the warning symbols would be appreciated..can you tell I am frustrated???
This is status for each device...Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unplug all the USB devices on your PC to the extent which you are able (obviously you wouldn't want to unplug your keyboard or mouse). Check the device manager at this point; if there are any exclamation points, they are likely related to the card reader that your PC undoubtedly has.

Start plugging devices in one-by-one, and see if Windows detects and installs them. If they get installed, cool. If not, write the devices down and post them here for us in addition to the model number of your system.

Reaction score
Hi...the model number is DX4831 gateway, 64 bit operating system. I unplugged the two devices( wireless adapter and printer) as you said. I started the computer but windows would not load...the screen came up "loading windows" and then it froze on the gateway logo and I had not files or startup menu. I shut it down via the power button, and unplugged the computer and held in the power button for 30 sec. to reset the harddrive. I started the computer and a disk check automatically started then the computer again froze when it got to the gateway logo. Again I shut it down and then plugged in the adapter and started it again...again it froze as before. I then started it in safe mode and there was a warning on the printer( I am assuming because it wasn't plugged in..) then I restarted in windows. Everything started fine and the warning was no longer on the printer, but on the computer under Devices and Printers...also portable devices had the warnings once again. I plugged in the printer and nothing seemed to happen. I will try to start it in safe mode without either the adapter or the printer plugged in and restart it from there but it kinda freaks me out when the files and start menu don't load.. :)...I will update soon..Thanks

Reaction score
updating...Well, I started my computer normally without the adapter or printer plugged in..and it automatically did a "checking file system"..it altered something obviously..(I guess it did the check cause I had started my system so often??).. Anyway, windows did start and the adapter installed after I plugged it. However the warning was still on the computer..no warning on the printer. I plugged in the printer and nothing obvious seemed to happen. The file check did change my norton files and disabled it so that is now fixed back to normal. It is odd that the printer warning shows up in safe mode when the printer isn't plugged in and then disappears and moves to the computer in normal mode or whatever. Sometimes I think I should just live with it for a bit unless there is any suggestions out there.

Reaction score
It sounds like your computer has many, many bigger problems than a few warnings in device manager.

Issues with startup?
Issues with freezing?
Disk checking?

These are not good things.

Reaction score
yes..maybe, I am not sure where exactly the problems started though . So am starting over again. I did a recovery and installed the wireless adapter manually. No warnings anywhere.. Also I ran windows update. I think I will leave it at that for a couple of days and leave norton as the trial version. Then install my printer and norton subscription a few days apart and see what happens. Thanks for the input tho..:) will update in a few days.

Reaction score
Well, I found my problem. Everything installed except my norton 360 all works great. My norton trial was something else..not sure cause I ran the nrt and its gone, but immediately after installing norton 360 the previous warnings all appeared( one on the computer, and on all 5 portable devices). Guess I can bug norton about this one. :)

Reaction score
Norton 360 is practically a virus in and of itself. The software is HORRIBLE. I cannot even begin to describe how many PCs it has broken that I have *personally* seen, and how many dozens more people have been screwed by it on the forums I frequent.

NORTON 360 IS A NIGHTMARE I HATE ITS FACE.

Reaction score
I like that..I hate its face...thanks for the laugh..lol... Well, a norton tech remotely attached to my desktop and could not resolve my issue. I am not sure norton 360 was entirely to blame but it definately altered something to make the warnings appear. Anyway, I went into my control panel-system and security-find and fix problems and it found the problem...a change in settings wasn't recognized...(or something like that). so I pressed 'fix' and dadaaaaa..the warnings went away. I had tried the right click-and troubleshoot on my computer picture warning but nothing...this did the trick tho...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Listen to what Thrax is telling you. ANYTHING made by Symantec is JUNK!! Anything with the Norton name you should avoid like the plague!

Use Avira Internet Security or ESET Smart Security, you can't go wrong with either one.

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the suggestions...I will definately change after my subscription runs out...:)

Ask a Question