Wake up Sleep/Hibernate

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
still trying to get used to Win 7. Ok, need some advice please, Power settings, I seem to have a problem, when I leave my computer for 30 mins, the HDD and screen shut down ok, when I wake it up by touching a keyboard key, it wants to stay asleep. I also tried to get it to wake up by touching the Power off/on button, but it just shuts down, what am I doing wrong,
You help and advice is appreciated
Thanks and Regards
Bob

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I never use the sleep or hibernate functions, I just turn them off.

If you're using a laptop you may want to use them. If you're a desktop user just turn it off. Set your monitor to turn off after 10 minutes. Turn off the screensaver too.

Reaction score
Hi,
sorry about the late reply, I lost my bookmarks, anyway what I did was to try everything recommended, but still had the same problems, so I reformatted the drive, but unfortunately still happens although not as much.
Thanks for all your help
Bob

Reaction score
I always use hibernate on my desktop. It's faster than a cold boot. What are the reasons not to?

Reaction score
I always use hibernate on my desktop. It's faster than a cold boot. What are the reasons not to?
There are no real reasons not too, if hibernate is working for you.

Personally I prefer having a fresh boot. If you develop any glitches during normal operations. These glitches are stored in hibernation, where as a cold boot would normally clear them.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
c_c is correct, no real reason not to use hibernate. It's a personal option.

But one must remember that in order to hibernate, windows will usually dedicate the same amount of hard drive space as RAM.

To me that's an unnecessary waste of hard drive space. If you have 4GB of RAM, it will set aside 4GB of hard drive space for hibernation.

Reaction score
When is the sleep function going to be fixed

When I first installed Windows 7 last October the sleep function worked. After some Windows Updates it stopped working and no longer resumes from sleep so I have to reboot two times before it clears the problem. For some reason when I reboot Windows thinks it has to delete restoring data which does not make sense for sleep, only for hibernate. I already spent time with Microsoft to try to resolve the problem but the tech support was unable to resolve it, problem ticket was 1117594299.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
c_c & Nibiru are correct, it's a personal option whether to sleep on not. I used to believe it was best to sleep, because I once heard that it wore out the part that boots your computer. But I know better than that now. The only time that I put it to "sleep", is when certain company is around. I have a certain relative that has two laptops, and I don't mind him using my wireless router, but he always "forgets" to bring one. So I let him use my old laptop, but no one gets on here but me, period. But as to why the function doesn't work on your computer, it puzzles me. I've done 4 Windows 7 installs (plus several on my laptop) and the functions have always worked right. Even on a couple of five year old computers. I've seen these issues before, but I must simply be lucky, because the computers that I installed these on, everything still works. I thought that is a program that's supposed to work "out of the box". Being that you did this install, did you create a backup of your drivers? Short of a reinstall, which you may not wish to do, I don't know what else to offer. You did say that some updates caused the problem. If you were to reinstall, you should consider "blocking" these updates from installing, if you know which one(s) they are. I do hope you get your computer right soon, and if you need any more help, feel free to post anytime.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yep Desktops just turn off ... my wife does the same with her (stolen from me :rolleyes:) Laptop.

Reaction score
Thank you for responsding. My PC is two years old, a DELL XPS 630i and I do have a USB keyboard and mouse, previously I stated that I had a non-USB keyboard. I reinstalled Windows 7 and reinstalled all of my applications and the sleep function worked. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Microsoft and the tech reps connected to my PC to try to resolve the problem. The last thing that was attempted was to change the BIOS Power setting from S3 to S1. With this setting the sleep function did not shut the power off, but it did resume when the keyboard was pressed.

There must be some setting that is causing the driver to get confused.

Eric

Reaction score
Computer sleep

Hi Guys,
still trying to get used to Win 7. Ok, need some advice please, Power settings, I seem to have a problem, when I leave my computer for 30 mins, the HDD and screen shut down ok, when I wake it up by touching a keyboard key, it wants to stay asleep. I also tried to get it to wake up by touching the Power off/on button, but it just shuts down, what am I doing wrong,
You help and advice is appreciated
Thanks and Regards
Bob
I have used computer sleep fpr some years..Xp;Vista;Win7.and all OS's in 32bit and 64bit.. my computer is on all the time 24/7.. the only trouble I have ever had was due to a faulty MS wireless mouse and keyboard..try another mouse, perhaps BIOS settings re USB.. Luck:)

Reaction score
Waking computer from sleep

I have used computer sleep fpr some years..Xp;Vista;Win7.and all OS's in 32bit and 64bit.. my computer is on all the time 24/7.. the only trouble I have ever had was due to a faulty MS wireless mouse and keyboard..try another mouse, perhaps BIOS settings re USB.. Luck:)
Another tip is "Device Manager/Mouse/Properties/Click 'Alow this device to wake computer'

Ask a Question