W7 on two computers?

Reaction score
If I buy the retail version of W7, can I install the 64 bit on one computer and the 32 on another?

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Nope. If you have only one key you can have it only on one machine. If you put it on the second the license will come up as"not genuine"

Reaction score
Figures...Microsoft ought to include Vaseline with their operating systems...:rolleyes:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Figures...Microsoft ought to include Vaseline with their operating systems...:rolleyes:
Let's see....you can't get 2 OS's for the price of 1 so...... it's Microsoft's fault?
Linux is still free. :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
losgood - there are places where you can buy an additional key for what you want to do.

Send me PM.

Reaction score
Let's see....you can't get 2 OS's for the price of 1 so...... it's Microsoft's fault?
Linux is still free. :)
Yeah, I just would have liked to upgrade the wife's computer to W7 x86...for 200 bucks, you ought to get more than one install.

Reaction score
I paid 99 dollars for my W7 Pro when it came out as I pre purchased it, from Micro Center. Go to a computer shop buy a piece of hardware and then but the OEM version for 139.00 dollars, the hardware can be a 10 cent screw to qualify.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yeah, I just would have liked to upgrade the wife's computer to W7 x86...for 200 bucks, you ought to get more than one install.
I feel your pain but I don't think MS is at fault because their pricing policy hasn't changed much over the years.

There are 2 good suggestions worth checking out in this thread.

Reaction score
Thanks, but that's an upgrade pack. I want a full install. If they did that for full installations, I'd be there!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you do not already have two licensed copy of XP or Vista on the two machines or disks/keys in a drawer?

Because the only difference between the full and upgrade version is that you must own a qualifying license to use the upgrade. Both upgrade and full allow for a full custom install and formatting the harddrive; the upgrade just looks to first see if the old license is on there. And even if you have already reformatted the computer there are ways to authenticate. There is the double install method or these three upgrade activation methods.

So like I said, if you have a license sticker on the back of the computers or have XP disks/keys or Vista keys not installed on other computers then you are legal.

Reaction score
My version of XP is an upgrade disc, and my wife's is a full version, but I'll be installing W7 on new HDDs (at least on mine...she doesn't mind sticking with XP, so that's not a real problem). Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I just want to make sure my build goes as smoothly as possible, and I've been out of the loop for a while, so I'm doing all my research now. Thanks for your input!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The machines both have legal copies of XP so then you are eligible to use the upgrade version on both. As I explained above, it just may require a little extra work if the HD doesn't have the OS on it currently but it's worth it to have legal upgrades for the best price..

It is recommended that you download & run the W7 upgrade advisor on both machines. You turn on all of your gear (printers, external HDs, etc) and then you run the advisor and it will do it's best to tell you if any of your hardware and software will have issues running W7. For example, to run the 32-bit version of W7 a minimum of 1GB of memory is suggested and 2GB is recommended; to run W7 64-bit requires a CPU capable of running 64-bit and has a 2GB suggested minimum & 3GB of RAM recommended.

Reaction score
Okay, just to be sure we're on the same page, I'm doing a totally new build from the ground up. Then I'm going to take my current rig, install a new HDD and video card and give it to my wife to use. Both will have clean installs of Windows on new hard drives. I was planning to install the old drives as secondaries just to get pics and what not off of them, then reformat them and use them as storage and/or backup, or maybe throw one into an old rig I have just to see if I can get it up and running. Sorry if I'm making it more difficult than it has to be, but that's why I'm here- to learn as much as I can about it. It's been a while since I've played with building, etc. due to lack of extra funds and the fact that my system has been running well for years without a major hitch. Thanks a lot for your input! :beer:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't think you can use an OEM copy on a new build, because changing motherboards invalidates the EULA...if I am not mistaken. If it's a retail copy then it's all good as long as the old rig doesn't continue using it too... This is my understanding anyway.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have 2 licenses then you are entitled to at most 2 upgrade installs and you can no longer use the copies of XP. You traded up so the XP license saves you some money but you can't have your cake in another computer and eat it in an upgrade too. In other words, even if you put in a fresh HD you cannot upgrade to W7 and then put the XP HD in another computer - you can reformat it or you can put it in a drawer as a backup. And as Core said, IF it was an OEM copy of XP (and if it came with the computer it likely is) then you can't "legally" move it to a new computer anyway.

Reaction score
If you have 2 licenses then you are entitled to at most 2 upgrade installs and you can no longer use the copies of XP. You traded up so the XP license saves you some money but you can't have your cake in another computer and eat it in an upgrade too. In other words, even if you put in a fresh HD you cannot upgrade to W7 and then put the XP HD in another computer - you can reformat it or you can put it in a drawer as a backup. And as Core said, IF it was an OEM copy of XP (and if it came with the computer it likely is) then you can't "legally" move it to a new computer anyway.
No, I bought my XP upgrade to upgrade from Windows 98se way back when. That should tell you how long it's been since I did any of this stuff...lol

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Figures...Microsoft ought to include Vaseline with their operating systems
I think they are being very fair. They include both versions in the same "Retail" package because it is much cheaper for everyone to produce, ship, store, inventory and display one product than it does two. Microsoft and the retail stores selling would likely charge more if 32-bit and 64-bit version were packaged and sold separately. And for consumers, it gives us a choice - and the option to change our minds at a later date and not be forced to pay again. I see that as a good thing.

Remember, you are buying the license to use the product - you are not buying the software! The disks are just the storage media used to deliver it to you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's a perfectly legal upgrade path to go from Win98 to WinXP to Win7. Because they allowed for a completely custom install for users that bypassed Vista, the W7 Upgrade disks are exactly the same as the full version; the only difference is the activation.

Reaction score
I realize that, but I'm installing on a new hard drive, and I don't have the 98 disc any more. All I have is the XP upgrade disc. I suppose I could use my student ID to get a cheap upgrade disc and do the double install method like it showed in that link...

Ask a Question