utorrent and windows 7 firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I used to have the occasional problem with utorrent, but now that I have gone to Windows 7, I seem unable to get it to work. There seems to be a firewall problem, so I disabled Windows firewall - which I have read is very good, and I think did allow utorrent - and have now put in comodo instead.

Then I read that if you have a firewall on your router, you do not need to have another one installed as well. :confused:

I am now really confused with all this.

Just checked and have at last got a green tick on utorrent - all be it slow, at least it is working :) whoops, just gone off again.

Any advice on utorrent or the firewall situation would be gratefully recieved :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I always say the more protection the better. I have Comodo myself (with windows firewall turned off) and a router with it's firewall on as well. There is a good link at the Comodo forums on how to set up Comodo to work with uTorrent successfully...i'v found the relevent info and posted it below.

Quote:

1. In uTorrent settings->Connections, disable "Activate UPnP portmapping" and "Randomize port everytime uTorrent starts". Choose a port for incoming connections.

2. Go to Firewall->Common Tasks->My Port Sets->Add->A New Port Set

Name it uTorrent or something. Now right-click it and select Add... Choose the port you've set uTorrent to listen on.

3. Go to Firewall->Advanced->Network Security Policy->Application Rules and add the following rules for uTorrent.exe:

Allow TCP OR UDP In From IP Any To [Your MAC/IP] (remark :here I use ANY) Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port is In [uTorrent port] (remark:choose a set of ports and then utorrent instead of the single port option)

Allow TCP OR UDP Out From [Your MAC/IP] (remark :here I use ANY)To IP Any Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port Is Any

[uTorrent] is the port set that you've created in step 2.

4. Go to Firewall->Advanced->Network Security Polciy->Global Rules and add this rule at the top:

Allow TCP OR UDP In From IP Any To [Your MAC/IP] (remark :here I use ANY) Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port Is In [uTorrent port] (remark: choose a set of ports and then utorrent instead of the single port option).

If you have a router, you'll need to configure it for port forwarding...just check the router's manual for the instruction on how to do this

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your fast reply draceena.

I have got as far as No. 3 and am now a bit confused.

There are all green ticks there except for under COMODO Internet Security>Block and Log All Unmatching Requests.

I am not sure where to go from here. Under my ports set , I put my utorrent port under a single port - the port that my router uses. Is that right?

My router is allready fixed up with a port open.

I thank you for your really great help so far, as I am used to ZoneAlarm, whic I cannot use now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gave up with comodo and gone back to windows 7 firewall.

Still cannot get utorrent to work properly, keep getting red exclamation mark!

HELP!

Reaction score
Gave up with comodo and gone back to windows 7 firewall.

Still cannot get utorrent to work properly, keep getting red exclamation mark!

HELP!

Tried this

How to Fix the Windows 7 uTorrent problem Following are the steps that will help you in optimizing the uTorrent performance for Windows 7:
  1. Right click uTorrent icon, click on the Properties to open the Property Sheet
  2. Navigate to the Compatibility Tab
  3. In the Compatibility mode panel, select Windows Vista
  4. In the Privilege level, Check the "Run this program as an administrator" option
  5. Open the uTorrent app, Go to Options Tab and click on the Preference option.
  6. Now access the Disk Cache option located under the Advanced branch
  7. Check "Disable Windows caching of disk writes"
  8. Check "Disable Windows caching of disk reads"
  9. Click Apply button
Also please make sure that uTorrent is added to Firewall Exception

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check your router settings, 3 weeks ago ha same issue, comcast had my settings or changed there definitions of there router.

Go to 10.0.0.1 in address bar log in to your router settings>>confections>>minimal works..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question