USB Targus card reader is not recognized

Reaction score
My OS is Windows 7 Pro--I have a USB Hub that is internally mounted to the front of the case. It has 4 USB ports. I have been using a small portable adaptor (card reader) to insert my camera's SD card into (SanDisk 2 GB) and it has been woking fine since I built the PC back in Sept 2011. A couple of weeks ago it started to act strange (the computer would make a sound when the reader was plugged into the front USB port and I could see the pictures (jpg's) but I couldn't work with them (I couldn't "rename" them or delete them but I could copy and paste them). Then after a few days when I plugged the card reader (with the camera card in it) into the front USB port it would make a sound but I couldn't see the card reader in "My Computer" or anywhere else that I looked. I tried the card reader in another PC (also with Windows7 and it worked fine) I took the SD card out of the reader and inserted it into a card reader that is in my printer--it worked fine! So I figured that the card reader adaptor was acting up. So for awhile I have been using the card reader in my printer. The other day my wife was working with some pictures on her PC (the "other' PC with win7) and she had a SD Card that she had pasted some pictures onto it. She has her own portable USB card reader that she gave to me so that I could copy the pictures and put them on my PC--guess what!--my PC would not recognize the card reader. I would hear the sound when I plugged it into the front USB port but I couldn't find it anywhere. If I plug in another device in that USB port it works fine--so it's not the USB port.

I would really like to have the portable card reader working when it is plugged into the front USB port on my PC--for convenience more than anything. ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE WELCOMED!!!

Ask a Question