USB drive issues

Reaction score
Windows 7.
It does not matter which of my USB thumb drives I use, but I notice that when I plug it in I get a Windows "Do you want to scan and fix ..."
I usually choose "continue with out scanning"
But if I choose "Scan and fix (recommended)" the end result is not error or issues found.

Am I getting that error because I don't go to the System Tray & click on "Safely Remove Hardware"?

I dont see this error msg when I use the same USB drive in a XP machine.

Is there a setting in Win 7 I missed?
Is there a setting where I can just simply remove the USB drive & not have to worry seeing this msg the next time I insert the drive?

Oh, I am using the front usb ports (not a hub) if makes a difference.

Thx

Reaction score
You should always click Safely Remove Hardware before removing your USB stick. It's possible that Windows 7 is smarter about the way it handles the improper removable of the USB stick then Windows XP was and is just making sure there won't be a data corruption because of it.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
In XP Pro right clicking on a Flash Drive in my computer and under properties there is a policy's tab where you could designate the Flash Drive to become (Hot Swappable) but this is not so in Windows 7.

Reaction score
This may be because the thumb drive is formatted FAT32 and Win7 expects NTFS!
It also happens to me with all of my thumb drives. They all were previously used in an XP box!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
All Thumb Drives / Flash Drives are FAT32 unless formated to a chosen file system.

Ask a Question