USB devices have stopped working

Reaction score
Hi,

All my USB devices have stopped working all of a sudden. I'm not aware of any recent changes that might be responsible. In device manager the USB Controllers are highlighted and each has the message that no driver is installed. I've been unable to install a driver, Windows cannot find any. I have also uninstalled the controllers and then scanned for hardware changes to re-install them. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Have ya made sure to unplug all USB devices first before uninstalling? Also ya might verify the USB controller is enabled in the system BIOS.

What is the system motherboard / specs for this machine? It's possible the USB bus hardware has failed, but that's typically only an issue with older desktops.

Reaction score
Hi Kougar

An update of sorts.

I used a previous restore point, which didn't seem to have an immediate effect, but I later noticed that the USB controllers were present and correct in the device manager. USB headphones worked ok, but Microsoft LifeCam Cinema webcam still problematic. However, this progress has been lost and I'm back to square one. This is possibly a consequence of the 'important' updates that were applied after the restore point, or maybe and AVG update. Will go through these step by step.

[FONT=&quot]AMD Phenom II X4 945 3 Gb
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78 PRO Rev 1.xx
[/FONT]Hitachi Deskstar 500Gb
4Gb Ram
[FONT=&quot]Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)[/FONT]

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hmm. Well it sounds like a software / driver issue then, which is a good thing. Since you've already taken the step of uninstalling them and Windows couldn't reinstall them it sounds like a 3rd party app might be at fault... but first, because I am not 100% sure if Windows will auto-install AMD chipset drivers ya should grab the latest ones from http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A78_PRO/#download and install those, then reboot.

Only if that doesn't help would I'd suggest temporary removing AVG, then the USB device drivers such as the LifeCam software and anything else, then uninstalling all the USB drivers before reinstalling them yet again. Hopefully none of that will be needed though!

Ask a Question