SOLVED Upgrading Windows 7 Pro 32 to 64 bit

Reaction score
Hello,

Just joined forum and I'm not yet acquainted with rules and etiquete used here, so please, don't take so seriously any mistakes I'll make, so far. Thanks.

I recently ordered (online) a Dell Optiplex 960 with 4MB RAM, to run Windows 7 64 Bit. If you wish, take a look at http://configure.la.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=br&cs=brbsdt1&l=pt&oc=BO960MBPT&s=bsd

However there is no 64 bit Window 7 option in the online order form (I know,it looked weird to me too - in the US there IS such option), so I contacted a Dell sales representative (I live in Brazil) before placing the order, and she told me that I could order the desired hardware configuration, with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit version and after that send her an email with the order number saying that I wanted an OS change. That is what I did.

Next day I decided to contact that Dell sales representative again to check if everything was ok with my order and my email asking the OS change. She told me that they will send me the computer I ordered with a 32 bit version of Windows 7, and latter I could ask Dell to install the 64 bit version. She also said to me that the "upgrade" is very easy and I'll not experience any problems.

I've been searching around (that's how I got to Windows 7 Forums), and didn't find any information about this kind of situation.

My questions:

- That's so easy as she's saying? Is that the right way of doing it? Is it an upgrade or a reinstal?

- That "upgrade" won't generate garbage and/or future conflicts?

- Doing so will, any other installed apps (pre-intalled Dell apps, like CD/DVD burning software, trial anti-virus software etc) will not get lost? After reading post https://www.w7forums.com/win-7-32-bit-vs-64-bit-installation-t4753.html (from GAP and replyed by catilley1092) started to think that I will loose everything already installed. In other words: I'll have to reinstal Windows.

- When I start my computer for the first time, will I have the option to choose between 32 ou 64 bit? (ask this based on reply by Nibiru2012 at https://www.w7forums.com/32-64-bit-windows-7-a-t4147.html - "When you started your laptop for the first time it probably gave you an option to load either the 32 bit or the 64 bit Windows 7." and "The computer makers did that to give the end-buyer the option to install the OS version they wanted.")

As you can see I'm very confused...

Any help or advice will be very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Fernando

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, Dell misinformed you! In order to go to the 64 bit Windows 7, you'll have to do a new clean install.

It is not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, at all.

It depends on how Dell has installed the operating system. Dell customer service are idiots. That's why I don't trust them at all.

I would get on the phone right away and ask to talk to a supervisor and my sure this gets straightened out as soon as possible.

Don't let them bluff you either.

Reaction score
If you want to do a clean install, I'd reccomend against it. A former classmate of mine had a dell laptop and wanted to go from xp home to pro so he tried a clean install. Dell put quite a few applications that were hidden in the BIOS that prevented him from getting the best out of his upgrade. I'd do a little more research first before going forward.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, that is one of many reasons not to buy a Dell computer.

As I said earlier... call them to get them to install Windows 7 64 bit for you.

Reaction score
Thank you all guys. Really apreciated your help.

Will contact Dell suport to (try) clarify things up.

Regards,

Fernando

Reaction score
Hi fellows,

Just a little follow up. Contacted Dell sales support and they finally changed my order to come with Windows 7 64 bits already installed with media.

Regards,

Fernando

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything worked out...

Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy win7 64 bit ...and don't forget to have a couple of caipirinhas....

Ask a Question