Upgrading from XP to Windows 7

Reaction score
I want to upgrade from xp to Windows 7, but ive heard that you need your xp disc for confirmation. I have an xp disc from my old Dell, but its really old (before service pack 1). Will i still be able to purchase windows 7 upgrade version or will i have to buy the full version?

Reaction score
If the XP CD is a regular Windows XP CD and not one of those "restore" discs which expands a hard drive image onto the PC, it will work with the upgrade license.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I want to upgrade from xp to Windows 7, but ive heard that you need your xp disc for confirmation. I have an xp disc from my old Dell, but its really old (before service pack 1). Will i still be able to purchase windows 7 upgrade version or will i have to buy the full version?
You will have to do "Clean Install" though. That is the only way to go from XP to Windows 7.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If you currently have XP installed on your computer you can do the Windows 7 Install over top of it (a clean install really) without having to enter extra information or needing the XP install disks. My best guess is that Windows 7 "sees" the XP installed and valid and then wipes your drive (placing the XP information in a Windows.old file)

Ask a Question