Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit - best option

Reaction score
Hi, about two years ago I bought Win 7 Home Premium from the Microsoft programs for students (unfortunately this program is now over). I'm now building a new computer and I was planning to transfer my license to my new computer. However, I heard that I had to move to the 64-bit version in order to use the full 8 GB of RAM I'm planning to install. Unfortunately, from what I can see on my disc (Anytime Upgrade 32-bit), the software doesn't seem to include the 64-bit version. I know you cannot upgrade from 32 to 64-bit, so I was wondering what would be the cheapest option to move to 64-bit. The only thing I can think of so far is buying an OEM version of Win 7 Home Premium and starting a fresh installation on my new PC (hence, not using my current Win 7 license).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,

Kari

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of so far is buying an OEM version of Win 7 Home Premium and starting a fresh installation on my new PC (hence, not using my current Win 7 license).
I agree

If you are building a new PC, the OEM version would be your best option. However if you ever think you will need to call Microsoft for support, the retail version would be your best option.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm nearly certain the student version has the same agreement as an OEM which means even if you went with 32-bit you can not legally transfer it to a new computer. Yes OEM is the cheapest.

Ask a Question