Upgrade or Fresh Install

Reaction score
I'm running 7100 , but want to install the new 7201. I was wondering if anyone has been successful with an upgrade. I have 7100 working the way I want it, and I don't want to lose that. I an upgrade doesn't work, then I'd just rather stick with 7100.

Reaction score
I personally don't like doing upgrades... all i can suggest is try it and see what happens! Back up your data and go with it

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
You can always upgrade, but there is never a gaurantee that it works completely smooth. Most sites, myself included, recommend clean installs if only to avoid the risk and the inevitable driver morass that results from upgrades... the only thing that guarantees that "new install performance" is a clean install.

If you're going to be installing yet again when the next version after that one comes out then you might as well do the upgrade...

Reaction score
I agree with Kougar - It doesnt really matter until RTM comes out. Clean installs are the way to go to reduce carrying over any problems from the previous install. Its not as important until you have the finished product.

Reaction score
I was pretty much thinking along the same lines. I haven't upgraded or installed any version since 7100. I'm waiting for more significant changes in any version I install from this point forward. 7201 is much more significant, but it seemed worth upgrading to.

Reaction score
As Kougar said, upgrades more or less work just fine for most people and most situations, but they can trigger unexpected scenarios where bugs appear that are a result of driver, registry or system file conflicts.

You would think that an upgrade is simply overwriting the files that have changed between builds, but it is really quite the elaborate process and things can go wrong.

The only way to be sure that you have a clean install is to do a clean install.

Reaction score
clean install

I hope i am in the right place to ask this
i am using RC1 and i love the way it is now. i see the best recomendation is for a clean install. what is the best way to backup and then reinstall my data? is there a program that will back up all my stuff including installed programs then put it all back when i am done installing RTM?

Reaction score
If this was addressed elsewhere I appologize. . .

When the W7 Rapture comes. . .

Is there going to be some sort of authorization for existing W7 RC installs or is it going to be a purge/clean install?

RowZ

Ask a Question