Uninstallation of XP Sp3 from Duel boot with Windows7

Reaction score
I Had Windows7 and Windows XP sp3 installed on duel boot menu Now I Want to format C: Drive on which XP is installed and again fresh Installation of XP sp3, I Want to keep Windows7 installation intact , But the problem is when I will format C: the bootloader will also formated then I will not able to boot .
Is There any solution?

Reaction score
I Had Windows7 and Windows XP sp3 installed on duel boot menu Now I Want to format C: Drive on which XP is installed and again fresh Installation of XP sp3, I Want to keep Windows7 installation intact , But the problem is when I will format C: the bootloader will also formated then I will not able to boot .
Is There any solution?
Do you have any other Hard Drives?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Did you install Windows 7 AFTER xp? If so, there should not be a problem if you format the XP drive from withing Windows 7. (Windows 7 will, or should, from within the OS, show that it is on C:)

Reaction score
Can you post the partition map from disk management ?
"Start", "Run", "diskmgmt.msc" and post the screen shot (use Snipping tool)

If the Windows 7 boot environment is on the XP drive then you have to:
1. Make Windows 7 partition active.
2. Reboot with inserted Windows 7 installation DVD (or repair CD)
3. Run Startup Repair (up to three times with rebooting after each until success)

At this point you will be able to format the XP partition and reinstall XP.
But keep in mind that every Windows version after installing places its own environment in control of the booting !
I suppose Windows XP installation will write its own code to the MBR and make the new XP partition active.

So you have to do the Windows 7 Startup Repair again to bring back Windows 7 in control of the booting and after success you have to add a boot loader entry for XP to Windows 7 BCD ( boot config data ).

Please note that the first primary partition must be the active one and also the partition holding Windows 7 boot environment in a dual boot system with Windows 7 and XP.
(If not there are some times problems in loading XP over Windows 7 boot environment.)

Reaction score
remove old XP and move Win 7 to 1st partition

I am currently running with Win 7-64 and have this config:
ptn1: D: oldXP (System, Active)
ptn2: E: My Documents for Win 7
ptn3: C: Win 7-64 (Boot)

My system currently gives me the boot menu and I don't mind keeping it that way.

I want to replace the old XP ptn with the current ptn 3 content.
How can I delete the old XP partition (so I can replace it with Win7) AND do EITHER of the following:
1. put the boot files in their own partition, then slide Ptn3 leftward
2. move the Win 7 partition’s CONTENT into the old XP partition so it boots
There is already sufficient room between the start of Ptn1 and the start of Ptn2 to move ptn 3 over.

Reaction score
Hi Docdj,
Do you want to delete your old XP completely ?

1. make partition 3 (Win 7 -64) active. (use Disk Management).
2. Reboot with repair CD or install DVD for Win 7 and run "Startup Repair" up to three consecutive times with rebooting after each until successful repair.

Now you can format partition 1 and then copy part3 to part1.Use some free tool like EASEUS Partition Master
So you will have to identical Win 7 installations. (and partitions).

Mark part1 active (run diskmgmt.msc) and repeat Startup Repair again.
Reboot.
If everything is OK you can delete partition 3 completely or just format it to reclaim disk space.

Ask a Question