SOLVED Unable to fix corrupt files

Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right spot. I ran sfc /scannow on my 32byte computer which is a few years old. I originally had Vista installed until Windows 7 came about and then I bought the Windows 7 upgrade disc. I ran sfc /scannow because I was getting some slowdown and I got the proverbial resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to repair some of them. I really don't understand the logfile on which files were corrupt and unable to be fixed. I have it here and will send it along. Either I need to repair these or reinstall with the windows 7 upgrade. Whatever someone thinks would be the best way to resolve this predicament. I just want my machine to work properly.

Attachments

Reaction score
This is strictly my personal opinion only and most likely many will disagree........
1. To fix corrupt files from your cbs log requires special expertise in that field. To show you how to do that over internet will most like make you head spinning in record time.
I am not qualified enough to help you.

2. It is less painful and less time consuming to re-install win 7.

Reaction score
This is strictly my personal opinion only and most likely many will disagree........
1. To fix corrupt files from your cbs log requires special expertise in that field. To show you how to do that over internet will most like make you head spinning in record time.
I am not qualified enough to help you.

2. It is less painful and less time consuming to re-install win 7.
That is exactly what I did. I did a repair install with an upgrade Windows 7 disk that I originally updated this machine from Vista. The only hiccup I had was when it was done I tried to activate, but I got a prompt about the MS Activation number not being genuine. It said the time to activate using this disk had expired. I chose an alternate method and used the phone activation and popped in the original disk # and they gave me a brand new number to plug in and voila it was good. I'm just re-installing the updates and the SP1 update because I un-installed it before I reinstalled Windows.

Reaction score
Wonderful.
You are back in business.

I am using a Win 7 Home Premium SP1 for this reply.
My suggestion :
1. Create a Repair disk.
2. Use an external hard drive and do system image backup regularly. If your system goes down, you can use it to restore.
How ?
Start button > in the search box, type backup and restore > press Enter key > left panel is what you use to create system repair disk as well as system image backup.
I do my system image backup once a week.

Also, you can go and download your version of Windows 7 SP1 ISO.
Then burn it to a bootable DVD and you can use it to re-install Win 7 without the hassle of reinstalling SP1.
https://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/
Make sure you select the correct version as well as correct bit-level.

Reaction score
I use acronis True Image for my backups. This machine I fixed tonight was not my primary and if I would have used the backup I had I just would've got the same trouble back. I was bored and I decided it was about time to clean this machine up. I never though so many files had gotten corrupt. I have the real Upgrade Install disk for both Machines that I own, one x86 one x64 but neither one is how do you say it, "slipstreamed" with SP1, therefore the reason for the uninstall and reinstall. The link for all those Win 7 install disks are all sp1 installed, correct? If so, when you get to the activation part what number would I use. When I tried the first time tonight to activate, Microsoft prompted me that my number from the legit upgrade disk they sold me was expired, which I never knew the disk number would expire. Good thing they gave me an alternate option to phone in the activation. Once I did that the validated the old number from the disk and then prompted me a brand new activation code in the boxes. Would these Win 7 links you forwarded me basically work the same way so I don't get stuck during activation?

Reaction score
Yes. The link is for Win 7 SP1.
You still need a valid product key to activate.
Chances are you will have to go through the Activation By Phone routine again
if you do a reinstall again.
That happened to me last time I reinstall my Win 7 Home Premium SP1.

Reaction score
Yes. The link is for Win 7 SP1.
You still need a valid product key to activate.
Chances are you will have to go through the Activation By Phone routine again
if you do a reinstall again.
That happened to me last time I reinstall my Win 7 Home Premium SP1.
That is not a problem calling. I guess once they realized I was using a valid key they renewed the one that was supposedly expired. Lets hope this is it anyway. I'll use Acronis as soon as this is all finished updating. Thanks again!

Ask a Question