Unable to drag drop to ZIP and RAR in explorer

Reaction score
Not sure if this is just a problem with Win7 x64 but unable to drag drop to either a ZIP or RAR file under explorer. Can drag and drop normal files to other folders/drives but when trying to add files via drag and drop to a ZIP or RAR all I get is the line thru' the 0 - so a no go.

Installed the 32bit version of WinRAR then realised it should have been the 64bit. During un-install of the 32bit version had a power cut but Win7 booted up fine. Then installed WinRAR 64bit. Carried on installing all the other programs as the Win7 was a fresh install.

Have a laptop with Win7 x86 and that works fine with drag drop ZIP and RAR files. When doing that you get a square with a + in the middle.

Dropped a note to Microsoft but zero response.

Can add files to ZIP and RAR using their native programs.

Obviously something wrong here (possibly a setting in the registry) but I don't really want to go through reinstalling Win 7 and resetting all the programs again.

Any help appreciated. Tried doing a search on the forum and there are a few problems with drag and drop but none of them apply to adding files to a ZIP or RAR file

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you trying to "Drag & Drop" to the window in WinRAR?

Mine works fine and I have the x64 WinRAR version.

It's not a Microsoft issue anyway, so they won't respond or will tell you to contact RAR Labs.

Get one of the uninstaller programs like Your Unin-staller, or Revo uninstaller and use it to remove WinRAR and all its registry entries which they do automatically. Then try reinstalling WinRAR.

If you're using System Restore, then restore back to the point prior to the install of WinRAR and see if that works.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - did a system restore but no luck - all this happened on the day I installed Win7 and didn't notice it wasn't working for a few days after. Have unstalled WinRAR via Your Uninstaller and all the registry keys were removed. Then reinstalled WinRAR 64bit and no luck.

Got a response from WinRAR who kindly gave me the registry keys as they should be for the program and they were exactly as I had.
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinRAR\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{B41DB860-64E4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex\DropHandler]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\DragDropHandlers\WinRAR]
Have done a repair (a custom upgrade) on Win7 and still no luck. Did it this way to keep all the programs in place.

So looks like I've lucked out on this one. Can only think it was the 3 minute power cut I had whilst un-installing the 32bit WinRAR which affected the drag drop to a compressed file.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Hi All

An update for the record and in case anyone else has this problem. Deleted v3.90 of WinRAR and went back to an older 32bit v3.42. Suddenly hey presto - everything started working as normal.

Thanks to those that tried to help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm using v3.93 x64 WinRAR and have no issues with it.

Sorry to hear that you have to revert so far back to an older version to get it to work for ya.

However I'm glad it's all good for ya now.

Ask a Question