turneyreed

Reaction score
friends, have a problem with windows updating... i've used this os for about six months and have never had an update.. have already gone into services and update was started and on auto, BITS was stopped so started and set on auto, restarted; also RPC is started and on auto, restarted... still have notice that update service is not started; same notice as before...got all the prior info from help and community, but in same shape.. any other ideas out there?? any and all would be appreciated.. thanks

Reaction score
'Trainableman' (hope we are all that!)........thanks for the info.... ran the ms fix-it for windows updates- 'we did not detect any problems so no fixed were applied'........ also checked in services for DCOM server process launcher and RPC Endpoint mapper- both are started and on automatic already.............. i actually haven't touched services until yesterday when i had to reset the RPC service to start/auto..... otherwise all is the same as when i installed W7....difficult to trace these things when each is dependent on another, and so on down the line! .... thanks for the help '..man'! have to keep working on this one or else do a reinstall or something as i have not had a single update so far......but 'don't worry, be happy!".......r

Reaction score
update to windows update problem...... now have BITS, DCOM Server, RPC, RPCSS, RPC Endpoint all on 'started' status set to automatic..... Windows Update is started but keeps changing to 'delayed start'... have settings to update every day at noon.. we'll see if it does anything on its own then...... if i do manual 'check for updates', it goes to window saying service is not started again!.......

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well Windows services could be set up fine but you might be blocking the ports needed. What A/V & firewall do you use? What happens when you run Windows Updates manually?

Reaction score
T Man... i have norton 360 premier, updated...when i go to programs, select windows update, double click, comes up with title 'control panel- all items- windows update' on a completely blank window... and then it freezes with hourglass showing.. no change in over ten minutes.. cannot close the window.. have to restart the computer....'stranger and stranger'... thank you again for your time and input...

Reaction score
T Man... been going over this, well, over and over again! checked MS Fixit again and found it was a discontinued beta.. so check your link? anyway, went to windows website and downloaded new Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter and ran it..results were 'problem installing recent updates- not fixed', check for missing or corrupt files- detected', 'some security settings are missing or have been changed- fixed', and 'service registration missing or corrupt- fixed'..... restarted the computer and opened windows update.. check.. can't because 'service is not running'........'stranger and stranger' ..... all forementioned services are started and automatic status..

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a link to the online fix-it center that says discontinued beta but that must have been something else, the actual Fix-it "run Now" link still works and the main Fix-it Solution Center still works.

If you haven't already, drop to a command prompt and run:
SFC /scannow
to make sure all your OS files are correct.

& my usual reply to everything, first make sure you don't have a virus; run a safe-mode scan as explained in the first part of my post HERE.

At some point I would say something is screwed up and consider backing up all your data to another (external or secondary internal) hard drive or flash drive and reinstalling W7 and all your programs.