Turn Off Auto Starting Programs

Reaction score
When booting, bunches of programs are auto starting in the background just in case I decide to use them. How do I turn off those programs I do not want auto-starting?
Thanks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can install CCleaner to handle this task. There is a program within it that allows you to disable startup services you don't need all of the time. Hope this helps, all of those programs affect startup time and performance. Welcome to the forums, tonyd48, should you need further help, post back.

Reaction score
You can also clear out any shortcuts in the startup folder in the start menu(start-> all programs -> startup), as well as run msconfig and uncheck the boxes for unwanted programs under the startup tab.

Reaction score
You can also clear out any shortcuts in the startup folder in the start menu(start-> all programs -> startup), as well as run msconfig and uncheck the boxes for unwanted programs under the startup tab.
catilley1092 and Rob are 100% correct in the methods they described to you. However when removing startup applications be very careful because some of them can be hard to read and you may end up disabling something you did not want to, of course you can always run msconfig again to enable them again.

Reaction score
MSConfig was the answer

MS Config start tab is what I was searching for. Just wanted to turn off the seldom used programs auto pre-load.
Thanks all

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like your computer is a build by a company such as HP, DELL, Lenovo, Sony, Acer etc.

Download an application called: PC Decrapifier

It will get rid of the junk and bloatware that these companies are paid by the software vendors to put the junk on their system builds.

It will give you options on what to keep and what to eliminate.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home

Reaction score
PC Decrapifier
:lol: :lol: :lol: I laugh everytime I read this, I don't think I will ever get tired of laughing at this phrase as long as PC Manufactuters are packaging crap with the OS installed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They really do load your system with a lot of crap, too. You buy a new PC or laptop, half of the programs on it are crap. The only reason I didn't use a regular 64 bit Home Premium disc and reload my OS is because Microsoft Works is bundled with that other crap. There's a lot of good tools in Microsoft Works. There's a Cyberlink Suite that's decent too. I'm going to have to download that program that Nibiru mentioned.

Reaction score
Just did a reformat over the holidays and a clean install of Win7 so that's not the issue. Since the reformat and clean install machine has been running fine. Just a recent update from one of my d-base product sorts added their version of IM to communicate with the vendors, problem being none of the vendors have IM on their end. Just wanted to turn off the auto start and things have been going so well I forgot about MSConfig.I don't do any programming, just work on 'em.

Reaction score
Download and Use
Autoruns for Windows v9.57

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc (581 KB)

Introduction

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.
Autoruns' Hide Signed Microsoft Entries option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system and it has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts configured on a system. Also included in the download package is a command-line equivalent that can output in CSV format, Autorunsc.
You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically!. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Reaction score
  1. Removing and Disabling Startup Programs
  2. Delay Startup
  3. ActiveX Controls
  4. IE Helpers - Browser Helper Objects - Toolbars
  5. Scheduled Tasks
  6. Services
  7. Removing Active Tasks
  8. Cookie Management and Filtering
  9. Monitoring and Restoring File Type Associations
  10. Options - Host File/Start Page Monitoring
  11. Program Info and Properties
  12. Upgrade to WinPatrol PLUS
I use this program. There is a free and charge for the "plus".
Installs in the system tray, found it to be a very useful and easy tool.
.www.billp.com or www.winpatrol.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
type in run
msconfig
goto startup tab and untick all unnecessary programsn and restart. also goto servies tab and see any unnecessary service is on. disable that and your system will work fine

Ask a Question