Trouble with folder thumbnails/customization (HELP!)

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a problem with the way Win7 displays folders: my whole music collection consists of folders that contain the songs and the covers (sometimes there are more than 2-3 images next to the audio files).
By default, W7 completely messes the folders: I'd like to be able to select the "main" cover for each folder - but Windows won't let me. Instead of that, the display randomly selects 2 or more images for the thumbnail.

This is how I'd like each folder to look:

Instead, I get one like this:

I tried setting the Customize tab exactly like in XP, but - when I select the image - nothing happens. The thumbnail remains the same.

Please help me out - what do I have to do so that I can have all my folders like in the first image?
Thank you in advance for helping out.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi C05T1N,
I'm not sure that this isn't a little GUI bug as I find I have change the folder view every now and again. Even if the view is set using the folder options tab it still likes to revert to a different view... I'm hoping that this will be cleared up by the time 7 comes through my letterbox or someone has a work around...

Reaction score
hi

i may have an idea for you
when i use Xp and i want to save time and not set every folder to the image i like i just found out this trick

1. you make the file that you want as a main thumbnail
2. you must save it as (folder.jpg) not the name of the folder just the word "folder"
3. put it the folder you like it to thumbnailed
4. after you make a lot of folders search for all the folder.jpg files and hide them

works in Win 7 for me great

Reaction score
Any fix for this? I'm having the same problem. Folder picture is totally ignored by Explorer when browsing files normally. It only works when viewing from a "save as" or "open" box, which makes no sense at all. I'm considering Explorer alternatives but I've yet to find anything that can give folders icons. Maybe the only workaround is to make a gallery of images with html.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Another OP has flown the coop!
Very nice of them...

XFox, did you try what Zivo suggested?
That nearly always works.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Another OP has flown the coop!
Very nice of them...

XFox, did you try what Zivo suggested?
That nearly always works.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Hmm, that actually works. Thanks :). Is that a fluke accident or does Explorer search for folder.jpg and override Desktop.ini? It means having a duplicate image in every folder. If I had to, I'd rather make a separate folder for all folder pictures, although duplicates shouldn't be necessary. I wonder if there's a registry fix to stop Explorer from fanning multiple pictures as the folder picture and fall back onto XP's behavior, unless they removed it like they have many XP features as they moved forward to Vista and 7.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that actually works. Thanks :). Is that a fluke accident or does Explorer search for folder.jpg and override Desktop.ini? It means having a duplicate image in every folder. If I had to, I'd rather make a separate folder for all folder pictures, although duplicates shouldn't be necessary. I wonder if there's a registry fix to stop Explorer from fanning multiple pictures as the folder picture and fall back onto XP's behavior, unless they removed it like they have many XP features as they moved forward to Vista and 7.
I don't think it is an accident. I think so because it is also the case in WMC; if you want to add a film cover to a movie that doesn't have one, you have to put a folder.jpg file inside the folder containing your movie.
So I would rather say it is a windows system setting.

I don't know of any registry mod for this. Sorry.

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm also having issues with the folders thumbnails/customization of my music collection.

I'm not really annoyed by the multiple images thumbnails appearing on the folder if this one contains several subfolders (each one containing a cover picture).
If I ever want to keep only one picture in the thumbnail, I'd just create a folder.jpg as explained above.

1°) What bothers me is that windows seven creates from time to time a desktop.ini file in the main folder (artist folder). As it is created one level above the subfolder, it overrides the folder.jpg contained in the subfolder(s) (albums) and/or any images that were thumbnailed before.

So it gives you this:

The only way to avoid this is to re-create another folder.jpg between the main folder (artist) and the subfolder (album). In a large music collection, with hundreds of folders, this is quite disheartening.

2°) Another issue is that, when you decide to change a thumbnail image, and go replacee the folder.jpg related to it, the explorer often failed to refresh the thumbnail image, and keep the old one, even after a reboot!

3°) Even when disabled, WMP12 keeps creating several AlbumArt.jpg in the subfolders from time to time, especially when I make a copy of a folder to another drive or destination. This also ruins the way you try to customize your folders 'look'.

I'm rather confused with these bugs.

Thank you to anyone who could help me to solve at least one of these problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm posting a solution here that may be helpful to many:

1st - for the search engines: This is a fix or way to get the desktop.ini file to display all the folder.ico images instead of the normal yellow folder icon.

2nd - The Problem: Those using Windows 7 (including me) have run into an issue where they have huge amounts of folders with images in them. In my case, being a photographer with hundreds of thousands of images, it gets difficult to sort things out when I have 100 folders of just Grand Canyon shots. Having an image on the folder icon (like XP used to do) makes the folder easier to visually analyze.

Other problems I see on forums are that users have to take the long route of right clicking each folder > Properties > Customize > Change Icon > Browse > Find The Icon > Exit out. This take a long time when you have thousands of folders.

You'll need to download 4 programs, and create a VBS Script.
*Image resizer (http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247)
*Image to Icon Program (ToYcon) (Google it)
*Batch File Renamer (your choice)
*Attribute Editor (http://www.petges.lu/download/)
*VBS Script (Below)

Once you have these in place... it goes pretty quick.

Solution:
1. You must run a visual basic script. Go to Notepad, copy and paste the below and name it folder2JPG.vbs (or anything you want) Make sure you add the .VBS at the end and not .TXT

The script looks like this: (Below the arrows & above, don't copy and paste the arrows)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Const SHCONTF_FOLDERS = &H20
Const SHCONTF_NONFOLDERS = &H40

dim oXpShell, oWshShell, oFso, oFolder

'Assign objects
Set oXpShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set oWshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

set oFolder = oXpShell.BrowseForFolder(0, "Choose a Folder", 0)
If oFolder Is Nothing Then WScript.Quit
SetPic oFolder
Msgbox "Done"

Sub SetPic(oFolder)
set oSubFolderItems = oFolder.Items
oSubFolderItems.Filter SHCONTF_NONFOLDERS, "*.jpg"
If oSubFolderItems.Count > 0 Then
PicPath = oSubFolderItems.Item(0).Path
On Error Resume Next
oFso.CopyFile PicPath, oFolder.Self.Path & "\folder.jpg", False
On Error Goto 0
End If

set oSubFolderItems = oFolder.Items
oSubFolderItems.Filter SHCONTF_FOLDERS, "*"

For each oSubFolder in oSubFolderItems
If oSubFolder.IsFolder Then
SetPic oSubFolder.GetFolder
End If
Next
End Sub
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Script selects a top level folder and adds an image called "folder.jpg" to every subfolder using the first image in the directory. This is a batch process, and can take minutes to execute if you have a lot of files. Upon visiting your folders, you'll now see a new image called "folder.jpg" in each folder.

3. Resize: Go to your master directory where all your subfolders reside and do a search for "folder.jpg". This will allow you to use the Windows 7 resize tweak tool. At the time of this entry, I found it here: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247. Resize your images no smaller than 256 x 256, which allows for maximum resolution for the icon.

4. Because there is no easy way to make .jpgs into .ico's, you have to use a tool. The best tool is currently ToYcon. Google it. Simply drag the folder.jpg onto the box, and VIOLA! It's now created an icon called folder.ico.

If for some reason you decide to use a different image as the .ico, you'll need to batch rename your .ico's. I use a batch renamer to adjust all my .ico's in multiple folders all at once. It's very handy.

5. Desktop.ini - Before of after step 6
You'll need to create a desktop.ini file in notepad that looks like this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=folder.ico,0

Save it as desktop.ini wherever you want. You'll be copying and pasting this same desktop.ini into each folder. Do so now, or later. Either way works. This is the part where you're saving time. Instead of right-clicking each folder, you now will select the folder from the pane on the left (if your view options are set correctly) and simply paste the desktop.ini into each folder respectively. The icons won't appear until you do step 6. If you do step 6 first, they will all appear at once.

6. Attribute Changer - Handy tool called Attribute Changer can be found here: http://www.petges.lu/download/

Once this is installed, right click the folder you want to change the attributes to. Instead of selecting properties at the bottom, you'll now see a new right-click menu option called "Change Attributes". You'll want to select (right-click) the top level folder (with all your sub-folders in it) because you're changing everything at once.

Under the Attribute changer window, select Read only and System from the folder properties, and make sure everything else is unchecked. Select the "Recurse folders" option at the bottom and hit "Apply".

This sets all your folders to a "system" folder setting which you normally have to do from the CMD prompt. If you have your desktop.ini files in place, hit refresh and you'll see all your Folders turn into Icon images at 256px.

Conclusion:
The entire process takes a bit of time to download all the tools. But when everything is in place, a folder full of sub-folders (about 100) can be changed in about 3-5 minutes. Compared to right clicking, it took about 25-30 minutes... including the use of shortcut keys. So you can see the advantage of changing massive amounts of data this way.

Ask a Question