Trouble in Dell Land

Reaction score
hmmm...makes me even more excited to build my own computer soon...money is tight, but hopefully in the next few months I can build a new comp with win7 on it and finally make the jump I've been waiting to make for months now.

I will say though, I didn't really have many problems with my dell, but mine isn't the type discussed in the article. Oh well, serves them right for hiding it. Thanks for sharing that.

Reaction score
Yeah, my 6200A-Le NVIDIA video card downstairs blew out the caps. I replaced them with low esr type 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

On my main rig here, it had a different motherboard which blew out the caps. I didn't want to be bothered replacing them and found a guy clearing inventory. I bought a replacement motherboard, the MSI one I have now, for 30 USD to my door. Been working flawless without bsod ever since. This was about 2 years ago.

For people building rigs nowadays, I always recommend getting a board with the silvery flat type of caps of extreme high quality.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Dell has apparently been in trouble for awhile. In 2005, they built a plant in our state (NC), after much in tax breaks and even land had been donated to them. Last year, they shut the doors on the new plant, braking promises to many.

But they were forced to repay a lot of the money back to the taxpayers. As for the landowner who donated to help the local economy, he got nothing for his generous donation to the community. And the employees were shafted as well, Dell decided to close the plant in the country where they sold the most, and kept their Malaysia plant running. Sure, PC sales were losing ground, but that new plant could have been converted into a netbook/notebook plant easily. But it didn't happen.

Except this PC that I'm on now (built by HP), all that I owned were Dell products. After this new development, and the way they did our local economy, another Dell won't sit on my desk, unless it's given to me. There are too many more reliable brands on the market. And BTW, Dell doesn't make any of it's own parts, they assemble computers of aftermarket products that they buy in large lots. Tear a broken down one and see for yourself, another name is stamped on every part of their computers. No wonder they can sell desktops for as little as $399.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think that there are very few computer manufacturers who make there own parts, if any. I have a seldom used small IBM computer which has no parts in it with an IBM lable.
Not to discredit the computer industry, though. The same argument applies to most assembled products - vacuum cleaners, fridges etc. Here there is a very well known and prestigious electronic company, which sells products such as Hi Fi and TVs at outrageous prices. The only unique feature is the arcitecturally designed furniture which sits around the equipment. Opening any of this company's equipment shows a heap of parts enitrely from a very old and established german concern.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This bad capacitor problem has been ongoing since early 2002. A manufacturer in Taiwan or China got a copy of the electrolyte fluid formula for a famous brand of Japanese capacitors. One of those industrial espionage things. The problem was the fact that the individual who stole the formula copied it wrong and so the resulting formula was defective from the start.

It was an attempt to produce an equal to the superior Japanese capacitors at a bargain basement price. So capitalists being capitalists naturally went for the most "competitive" priced products. It was like yelling free beer during Rush Week, everybody came to the party.

Everything was great until as stated in the article, the fluid aged prematurely, broke down and was leaking or bursting the capacitors. A whole bunch of motherboard and video card and sound card makers were affected by this problem.

A lot of problems first showed up in 2002 and 2003, then went by the wayside and then began showing up again in late 2004 thru 2005, only this time on mostly OEM and mass-produced systems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now everybody on this forum knows that I despise DELL equipment and their much beloved "No Customer Service".

What marketing / customer service VP idiot at DELL came up with the "unusual reason for the computers’ demise: the school had overtaxed the machines by making them perform difficult math calculations." to quote The NY Times.

The thing that cracks me up about it is the fact DELL had the audacity to do this to one of their biggest customers, the State of Texas University System! That take big cajones!

There's a very famous quote from the movie: The Outlaw Josie Wales. It goes like this: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!

That is the biggest bunch of malarkey I've ever heard of. Most of you know I live in Austin, TX nearly all the computer people (read geeks) I know of wouldn't touch a DELL if it was given to them. There have been so many issues regarding hardware, tech support, refurbs sold as new products, etc.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Even the firm defending Dell in the lawsuit was affected when Dell balked at fixing 1,000 suspect computers, according to e-mail messages revealed in the dispute.
This sums up the company attitude for me.

They were trying to scheist their scheisters. :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm just glad to know that the problem is, for the most part, confined to Dell. If all of the large computer OEM's went after those cheap parts, everyone would be getting burned.

Dell is also known for heat issues in many of their notebooks, even the Latitudes, once their flagship notebook. Many of these came with elcheapo MOBO's, combined with the heat issue, led to fine cracks in them. This causes BSOD's in the worst of cases, and I can testify that is true. I've already had one to do it (even though I didn't know it at the time), now I fear the same is happening with the notebook that I currently own. Which, BTW, is the very same model that I currently have, only the one I now have is a year newer.

And speaking of refurbs, this one was a "certified" refurb by Dell itself. There is a green sticker on the bottom that says in print, "REFURBISHED, This product may contain new, refurbished, repaired or previously used assemblies. Dell factory trained technicians have tested the product". I bought this notebook from Dell Financial Services, through an eBay auction broker, CSR Technologies. The particular broker had thousands of the same product, in fact, if you bought a lot of 1,000, you would get a 15% discount. A trace of the serial # led me to the discovery of the original owner, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals.

So, this goes to show that Dell is out to burn their loyal customers at all costs. For a major corporation to shove "previously used assemblies" in notebooks to resell them is equal to an auto dealer piecing cars together with salvage yard parts, and selling them as "certified pre-owned" autos. I'm actually shocked that Dell would participate in this practice, I knew it was a refurb, but didn't notice this sticker until recently, and this thread reminded me of it.

What I'd like to know is this, how many millions of customers got burned in a like fashion? Dell Financial Services is still selling notebooks through brokers on eBay, and even some newer ones direct without a broker on eBay. Now I know what they mean when they claim they "dispose of your previously owned computer in an environmentally friendly way". If this was ever really looked into, Dell would be remembered for pulling off the largest screwjob in the computing industry. I know one thing, I'll never deal with Dell again. And I mean never on this one, because this is a deceptive practice. New auto dealers sells used cars, but they're up front about it. This notebook that I have, with that green sticker, and some parts obviously looking newer than others is shady practice. I could see it if it were a third party doing this (one who buys tons of "off lease" computers, and "refurbishing" them). It happens on eBay thousands of times a day. But for Dell to have a hand in it, is true corporate greed in the first degree.

Cat

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
'Tis a shame as back in 2000, when I bought my first computer (Dell Dimension) they seemed to be a great company. When I had issues, I'd call and speak to someone in the USA about my issue and the parts in said computer seemed to be of good quality overall.

After 5 years, it finally died out, not sure why really, but in thoes 5 years as I had to go to them from time to time I could see the decline. I went to speaking to someone in the USA to someone who had a really thick accent (possibly from Asia) and instead of having someone who knows computers on the other end, these people were definately reading from a script and wouldn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It really is a shame, because at one time, I agree, Dell was among the best. In some ways, they still are. You can get downloads for about anything they've made in the last 10 years. With HP, I cant even get a simple webcam driver to use with other OS's than the original. They have a few download for my model, and that's it. For my Dell notebook (made in 2005) there is 73 downloads available for it. But the buck stops there.

Call them, like draceena said, you can't understand who you are talking to. BTW, a lot of corporations are like this. But for years, Dell led the pack, what drove them to the low state they're in now? They were so desperate for business that they dabbled with the idea of installing Ubuntu as OEM for a certain segment of customers. They have one less to be concerned with now, that's me. This notebook actually overheated twice today, forcing it to cut off. I just don't understand. But when quality goes out the window for profits, that's the beginning of the end for a lot of companies. What can you do but look elsewhere?

Cat

Reaction score
I emailed Dell not so long ago to get a quote for a build. Never even got a reply, having said that a lot of companies (my employer included) still seem to be getting Dell equipment.

Reaction score
:(
Dell has apparently been in trouble for awhile. In 2005, they built a plant in our state (NC), after much in tax breaks and even land had been donated to them. Last year, they shut the doors on the new plant, braking promises to many.

But they were forced to repay a lot of the money back to the taxpayers. As for the landowner who donated to help the local economy, he got nothing for his generous donation to the community. And the employees were shafted as well, Dell decided to close the plant in the country where they sold the most, and kept their Malaysia plant running. Sure, PC sales were losing ground, but that new plant could have been converted into a netbook/notebook plant easily. But it didn't happen..................
Sounds like Dell made a LOT of good friends in NC. :(

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yeah, a whole lot of them. I guess when another computer OEM considers coming here, the state will take a long, hard look at them before deciding to handout a ton of taxbreaks and landowners wont forget about it, either.

BTW, I checked into it, nowhere near the amount of money that was fronted to Dell has been repaid yet. And the landowner who donated the property to Dell wasn't allowed half to his tax write off for being generous, since Dell broke their word to everyone. All was contingent on Dell having so many employees (which never happened), and their plant remaining in operation for ten years, which also didn't happen.

PC sales were already on the decline when Dell arrived, as notebooks were gaining in popularity by the day. Dell knew what was coming, they only decided on NC for their plant because of cheaper, non-union labor, and because of the massive tax breaks and donation of land. There were two other states competing for Dell's plant, but unfortunately NC won the bid.

Glad that IBM didn't do us this way.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
More trouble for Dell, seems they didn't disclose Intel kickbacks to their investors - a $104 million dollar no-no...

WASHINGTON -- Computer maker Dell Inc. is paying $100 million to settle civil charges that it used fraudulent accounting to meet Wall Street earnings targets, the government announced Thursday.

Under the settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission, company Chairman and CEO Michael Dell ( DELL - news - people ) also agreed to pay a separate $4 million civil penalty.

The settlement culminated a five-year investigation by the agency. While the $100 million fine was far from the largest penalty levied by the SEC, the decision to charge a sitting chief executive of a major company and reach a seven-figure settlement with him is rare. Michael Dell is one of the most prominent figures in the technology industry, credited for revolutionizing the PC market by making the computers cheap and widely accessible.

The SEC had accused Michael Dell, former CEO Kevin Rollins and former Chief Financial Officer James Schneider of playing a role in the company's alleged violations of disclosure laws. Schneider and two other former executives were charged with taking part in the alleged fraudulent accounting.

Dell, based in Round Rock, Texas, is the world's third-largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard Co. ( HPQ - news - people ) and Taiwan's Acer Inc. The company's net income was $441 million in its fiscal first quarter this year, which ran from February through April.

The SEC said the company failed to disclose to investors large payments it received from Intel Corp. ( INTC - news - people ) in exchange for not using central processing units made by Intel's main rival, Advanced Micro Devices Inc. ( AMD - news - people ) Those payments enabled Dell to meet its quarterly earnings targets, the agency said. After Intel stopped the payments, Dell again misled shareholders by not disclosing the real reason its profits had dropped, according to the SEC.

Forbes article here ...
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010...l-settlement_7791163.html?boxes=techchannelAP

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Dell continues their backward slide, it seems. Now I see why the tax dollars Dell received to come to NC hasn't been repaid in full yet. They were saving it in case they were caught doing wrong.

Has anyone besides me noticed the flood of Dell ads for cheap computers that's been going on lately? As cheap as they are, surely they don't have Intel processors anymore. I even got a flyer in the mail. They had a $399 computer in it. They can take me off their list, they used to be good, but the last few years, they have built a lot of junk.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes Nibs, I had already posted it in this older Dell thread but I did notice you started a new thread and yours has a different source so I figure the readers might get something from both.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks TM! Looks like we have the bases covered.

What I found especially interesting is the fact that Michael Dell also has to pay a fine too! It won't hurt him because he is still the richest man in Texas, or at least he used to be.

Ask a Question