transfer vista files to w7 files

Reaction score
Hey all, i have a quick question. I want to upgrade my existing computer which is 32 bit vista home basic to 64 bit W7 ultimate. have two drives on my machine and was told to use the windows 7 easy transfer wizard found on the install cd and use that and back it up to my second drive and then install the 64 bit w7 over vista and then find the file called windows.old folder and that should have the files i transfered and what programs were installed. My question is will it back up my video game folders and saved games minus the actual application and also will it be able to back up to the secondary drive or will that be erased when i install windows 7?

any and all help/suggestions are appreciated

thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You cannot install 64 over 32. Anything you want should be backed up and once 64 is on the computer you will need to restore your logon id and settings with the easy transfer backup files and then install all programs new, including the games.

Reaction score
aside from the actual files from like word and what not, it should make a back up of my game folders and the data from those and then i just have to go and re install the games and then move the folders around accordingly no? also i can make an easy transfer back up on my secondary drive no probleM?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft FAQ
You can transfer most files and program settings. Specifically:

• Files and folders. Everything within the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Shared Documents folders. Using advanced options, you can select additional files and folders to transfer from other locations.
  • E‑mail settings, contacts, and messages.
  • Program settings. Settings that keep your programs configured as you had them on your old computer. Windows Easy Transfer doesn't transfer the programs themselves. Some programs might not work in this version of Windows, including security programs, antivirus programs, firewall programs (your new computer should already have a firewall running to help ensure safety during the transfer), and programs with software drivers.
  • User accounts and settings. Desktop backgrounds, network connections, screen savers, Start menu options, taskbar options, folders, specific files, network printers and drives, and accessibility options.
  • Internet settings and favorites. Internet connection settings, favorites, and cookies.
  • Pictures and video. Pictures—which includes any visual format (for example, .jpg, .bmp, and .gif files)—and personal videos.
  • Music. Electronic music files, playlists, and album art.
    Note

Windows Easy Transfer moves your music and video files, including files protected by digital rights management (DRM), but it doesn't move the licenses for these types of files.
To be honest I see no mention of games but it does say you can use advanced options to add more folders. Personally I would recommend you run easy transfer with advanced options and still copy the folders to your backup drive just to be absolutely sure you have them.

If you haven't downloaded it already, here is the link to the 32bit Vista Easy Transfer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question