SOLVED Toolbar options greyed out in Windows Live Mail

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a Pentium i7 860 CPU with 8GB ram, Windows Live Mail 2011, Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513). When I am replying to, or composing a new mail message alot of the options like Paste, cut, copy, font, paragraph and insert are greyed out and unaccessable. How do I activate them?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Do you mean the mentioned items in the main, or new mail window?
If the former, I believe the MS thinking on this is, if you wished to use the normal (in) window, then there would need to be something worth using, as you are already composing a new email in another windw.(Hope that makes sense?)
However, following this idea, if, for example you have mail in your inbox, or, for example, your deleted box, and click it, the main window will become active again.
It follows, I hope, that if you have nothing in those boxes then, there being no required action, the interactive menus stay greyed.
But (I just checked to be sure!) I have not experienced this when replying.
fwiw. Confirm you are using the latest (2011)?

Reaction score
Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513)

Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513)
That is the version I am using. You are making it more confusing than it is. If I get a new message in my inbox and click on reply in the Toolbar at the top (which has nothing greyed out), Another window opens to compose my reply. The tool bar in this window has the greyed out options that I listed.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ok. That is why I asked the question. My apologies if the explanation confused you. As I said, mine is not greyed. Check that you do have Live selected as your default, in the Options. Try this:

1.Open the "Default programs" in the control panel. choose "set program access and computer defaults". Choose custom. Next unselect "use current web browser" and select Internet Explorer. Under Mail select Live email.

". If the above did not do the trick,go to the Control Panel, again - " Programs and Features", - Windows Live Essentials, select "Uninstall/Change", and select Repair. reboot and see if the problem is cured.

Reaction score
Well whatever was wrong, it's fixed now. I followed your instructions and after a reboot, everything was fine........................Thanx!

Ask a Question