Thumb Drive Busy

Reaction score
More a query than anything else. I have a thumb drive that stays constantly busy. I even formated the drive and now has nothing on it. Still not sure why it stays busy without anything on it. I've moved it to several other USB ports and still the same. It's not the only thumb drive plugged in but the only one that stays busy.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean busy? Could you show a screenshot of what you are referring to?

Reaction score
Can't show a screen shot. My thumb drive has an LED that blinks when it is busy. When attached it constantly blinks and when I go to eject the drive from the task bar, I get in so many words the drive can't be ejected as it is busy; however, I can eject it from within Windows Explorer.

It could be a drive problem as I've had it for about 5-6 yrs but it hasn't been used much over that last year or so as I have others with more drive space. I was just curious as to what would cause it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, I understand what you mean now. My flash drive has a blue light which is solid when plugged in but flashes when "In Use".

If you have A/V software it is possible your drive is being scanned for viruses.

or ...

While I was typing this I left mine plugged in and my light started going wild and when I tried to eject it I was told it was "in use" so I used Unlocker on the root folder to see what was accessing it (Unlocker links available in our Freeware DB). Unlocker told me the USB stick was in use by WUDFHOST.exe.

Apparently WUDFHOST.exe has something to do with maintaining the best driver to communicate with the thumb drive. I don't understand it exactly but ever since Vista SP1 they have included this Windows User-mode Driver Foundation program. It tries to make sure the drivers used to communicate are correct so as not to threaten the computer stability.

I can't find an actual webpage explaining this but my hunch is it is actually updating the USB driver stored on the thumb drive. Eventually (about 3 minutes) mine finished and my light went solid. I wonder if yours would eventually calm down as well. If yours never ends I can only suspect older thumb drives don't allow for update of that driver and so it tries repeatedly. But you could definitely install Unlocker and see what program is "holding" your thumb drive.

Ask a Question