The need for a second Malware scanner

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been a big fan of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) since it became publicly available to all. However, for the third time in as many months, a Trojan eluded it's scanner. Yesterday, I installed on my notebook 7 Home Basic (an excellent choice for older computers that's incapable of Aero). Since it isn't trying to force an app that won't work, the screen looks very good and more readable.

After fully updating and installing all of my favorite programs, I did a Full Scan with MSE, all was clean. It has ran well. Today, I did a second Full Scan with Malwarebytes, my second string of defense in the never ending emergence of bad code writers. The following was found:

Trojan.Vilsel

After further research, it was found to have a "high" rating, as to it's threat to my security. It can embed deep into the registry, and slowly cause problems, including installing more malware onto the system.

Therefore, the need for a second scanner such as Malwarebytes is greater than ever. While MSE is excellent protection, it's still very young, and no security program can catch every thing 100% of the time. I strongly urge all users to have a second option, an inactive scanner that you can manually update and run, at least once monthly, and upon a new install. Malwarebytes is the best option that I'm aware of that can do the job.

C_C has posted a link to the program in the Free Software Database that can found on the home page of the forum. He has worked hard to create this list of essential programs, many of which I already have, and they all are fine programs, I can vouch for that.

The time to act is now, before an infection spreads deeply into your OS. The sooner that malware is contained, the greater the chance that no damage is done.

Safe and happy computing to all,
Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you're just using the Windows 7 firewall, that may be part of the problem too.

I always use a 3rd party firewall software in addition to the hardware firewall on the router.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dirtrider, our resident BSOD expert recommends not using Avast or AVG as they are often seen as involved in the blue screens of death he helps solve.

He also does not recommend Cyberlink or Daemon Tools, both of which I use regularly but your results may vary.

If you use any of these products and get BSODs then it is definitely worth it to try removing them and if you are considering a new product it may be well to try others first.

Reaction score
I realise that code is a complex thing but I wonder why AVG gets such bad press with WIN7. Certainly it has never given me any grief on my XP machine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just Out of the box Win7 comes in 5 flavors: Basic, Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, and Enterprise, multiply that by 2 for 32bit and 64bit and then multiply that by the 1000s of settings then you multiply that by all the drivers for all the different hardware and finally you plop applications on top of that mess and it's surprising anybody even gets the same result when they multiply 2 * 2 on these devices.

Virus programs more than most applications are down deep, watching to things most programs assume just work - with that level of detail comes a necessity to work on the so many variations and still not mess something up itself. Anti-virus programs themselves work like a virus - they get in the middle and interpret what your CPU wants/is doing, they interpret what your hard drive wants/is doing and it allows code to execute, files to be accessed based on it's determination ... this naturally slows down processing and it introduces numerous possibilities for error.

When you are dealing with PCs you go on experience. I had a noisy and hot Hitachi hard drive that threw off a bunch of errors - now I will avoid Hitachi; that doesn't mean all their drives are bad but my bad experience means I don't want to test it.

TorrentG obviously has had experiences with the products above that instantly makes him question them. As I mentioned I use a couple myself and they work fine for me but when you are looking for issues, you start with your experience.

Reaction score
In very slight defense of what was not just notorious AVG but extreme notorious AVG, I think they have cleaned their act to a certain extent. It has been many months since I can say for sure it was the source of bsod.

If anyone is ever brave enough to try AVG, stay away from the suite type software. Stick to the antivirus alone. That makes a world of difference too. (But be warned, it will slow down your machine compared to MSE.)

I have seen it involved recently in bsod cases - but again - it may or may not have been the cause. This is a billion worlds better than what they were early this year and before on Windows 7.

As for Cyberlink - I love all of their software and am an avid user of at least 4 or 5 things they have out. My only recommendation is to keep the software updated to latest and you'd be fine with it.

Daemon Tools (and its sptd.sys) - I wouldn't wish their problems on anyone. Massive bsod, pcs unable to boot...terrible. Use PowerISO instead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lot to be said for in house software. MSE as it develops should get better and better.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never tried it but I see nothing on the homepage where PowerISO can disable SafeDisc or SecuROM and since I don't want to dig out the CDs for my games if I want to play them, these features are important to me.

Reaction score
I'd like to say an alternative method than needing to rely on those features of Daemon Tools - but I'm fairly sure it would go against rules of the site.

Perhaps simply saying that is enough of a clue to what I'm getting at.

If you legally own a disc and have paid for it, you should be able to do whatever you want to the software once installed. (My opinion only, of course.)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you're just using the Windows 7 firewall, that may be part of the problem too.

I always use a 3rd party firewall software in addition to the hardware firewall on the router.
I've tried to install a couple of these firewalls, with no luck. Comodo, the best that I can remember, had a free full AV / Firewall Suite. The firewall is one piece of software that I have zero experience with, which is probably why I had so much trouble. I know that there many free & paid firewalls, but I've depended on the Windows one for all these years. The only setting that I changed was in XP, where you have the option of "Don't allow exceptions". Being that I solely used public networks at the time, I always made sure that the box was checked.

Too, on various forums over the years, including this one, users have had problems with aftermarket firewalls. My problem is which one to choose, as well as learning to install and configuring it.

I'll do some researching about it. I may have been misinformed, but I was told that unless you have a business, or keep a lot of valuable data on your computer, that the Windows firewall is more than adequate for most home users. And now that I'm wired instead of wireless, I'm as secure as I've ever been. This is my first wired install. I went in that direction for security.

Cat

Reaction score
Funny that this BSOD should come into this thread. It is something that worries me big time on W7 and I see pages and pages of these threads on another forum. Since I have been running Vista and now Win7 I have not had one, excepting for the one I forced the other day when testing suspect hardware. In fact besides that one I cannot recall when last I had one. Now it is said that Kaspersky is a source of the BSOD and as stated here Daemon Tools. I am running both without any issues at all :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As long as you're having no issues, run whatever you wish. What may run well for one, may make another system crash.

But as the creator of this thread, I was giving advice based on personal experience about the need of a backup malware scanner. I don't believe it was turned into a BSOD issue. It is my hope that my original post has been helpful to some, if only a few.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cat I am not saying it was turned into a BSOD issue I just found it interesting to hear that some of these may be an issue with BSOD. I am actually glad it did come up and was mentioned as it is always better to be forewarned of this pesky BSOD :D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I've tried to install a couple of these firewalls, with no luck. Comodo, the best that I can remember, had a free full AV / Firewall Suite. The firewall is one piece of software that I have zero experience with, which is probably why I had so much trouble.
The Comodo AV - Firewall Suite gives you the option to just install the AV, the firewall or both. It's free.

Learning how to configure firewalls was one of the first things I taught myself about 10 years ago.

Comodo's firewall after first install goes into a "Learning Mode" where the user must answer some questions, sometimes a lot af first, but then it settles in and works pretty darn well.

I used to use ZoneAlarm's free firewall, but it got to be too much of a piece of bloatware and hassle to use. I have used Comodo's free firewall in the past and like I said the first week of use there is a lot of popups to answer. After that it's stays rather quiet in the background.

I've been using G DATA Internet Security since the 1st of May and really like it. Does a great job too.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The Comodo AV - Firewall Suite gives you the option to just install the AV, the firewall or both. It's free.

Learning how to configure firewalls was one of the first things I taught myself about 10 years ago.

Comodo's firewall after first install goes into a "Learning Mode" where the user must answer some questions, sometimes a lot af first, but then it settles in and works pretty darn well.

I used to use ZoneAlarm's free firewall, but it got to be too much of a piece of bloatware and hassle to use. I have used Comodo's free firewall in the past and like I said the first week of use there is a lot of popups to answer. After that it's stays rather quiet in the background.

I've been using G DATA Internet Security since the 1st of May and really like it. Does a great job too.
Yep, that was my experience with Zone alarm too, it got too big and bloated and interfeared with Nero, then I moved to Comodo and still use it today. I do the selective install for just the Firewall.

Reaction score
Personally, I've stopped paying for protection (condoms excepted) and I use AVG free first and Microsoft Security Essentials second for gaming builds which need all the resources they can get, although AVG is relatively nimble. On systems which have frequent internet access I supplement the chosen antimalware app with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as on demand weekly scanner. Otherwise I use just one app. As for the firewall, I use Windows' offering. I don't need another fat application changing hundreds of registry settings when the built in firewall + the one in your router if you have Ethernet is sufficient.

The firewall is only one part of security anyway. You need to consider your browser, router settings, installed apps (and stop installing new programs, you most likely don't need it) and possibly DNS settings along with traditional applications. You should also check how much info your browser is giving up as a "fingerprint" here: https://panopticlick.eff.org/.

Probably missed something too . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Very interesting information. My browser fingerprint was fairly unique, but there's always room for improvement. You can improve your fingerprint, but if you mess with your browser security settings too much, it won't work properly. I once had my security & privacy settings jacked up to the max in IE7, and could do nothing.

Other than checking to see what other Firefox add ons can help me (I have No Script), I'm fooling with nothing. I'm behind a firewall, have excellent AV & malware protection with MSE + Malwarebytes + SAS, and run CCleaner every night to get rid of any thing that may be laying around. And I do a full scan every day that I use my computer with MSE or Malwarebytes.

Besides that, I use PayPal for many of my internet purchases, when there's the option, so my financial information isn't exposed on every purchase. Plus I went from a wireless to a wired install, that alone improved my security. At one time, up until very recently, I was at the point of paranoia with security issues. But I've learned to relax a little and not allow fear to keep me from enjoy using my computer. Sure, use common since, but a good thing can be overdone.

Cat

Ask a Question