The biggest Pirate of Windows 7 revealed!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Millions of copies sold per hour

A survey carried out by software giant Microsoft revealed the best place to buy pirated copies of their Windows 7 operating system.
It turns out that Moscow is the biggest Windows 7 pirate ever, and that more than 25 percent of the dealers in the city sold pirated copies of the software. Also, one in ten of the dealer come to your house and install it for you. Not much different from India then.

Microsoft has surveyed 2500 computer and software retailers in 53 cities across the Russian Federation. The Far Eastern part of Russia shames China and India when it comes to software piracy, with places like Yekaterinburg recording 41 percent pirated sales, Chelyabinsk 30 percent and Moscow 27 percent. However Moscow wins the pirate game due to the sheer volume of the Win 7 DVDs sold. And according to Yuri Zlobin, the head of the anti-piracy association, "The Russian Shield", it was a lot worse than that in Moscow. Also, the numbers reported are still less than the actuals. Incidentally, Russia has the second-largest market for pirated products after China.

As we reported earlier, China is doling out gratuitous amounts of copies of Windows 7 on USB drives. The pen drive is being sold for a paltry 98 yuan, or about $14 (Rs 670). What's more, the USB drive features Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's signature on the outside.

Pirated copies in DVD format of the new operating system continue to be sold openly in many malls and markets in China. You can get a pirated copy of Windows 7 (non-beta presumably) for 20 yuan (which is about $3 bucks). Windows 7 is cheapest in China, and is available for a paltry $58, and inspite of that most folks prefer to opt for the pirated deal of $3. Although China isn't the only nation pirating Windows 7, India has followed suit and the pirates are selling the OS for as little as Rs 500 ($10) and those in Philippines are selling it for $1.5. While Windows Vista was widely pirated as well, Windows XP remains the most illegally distributed Operating System of all time.

February 8, 2010 Source

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is how much Win7 retails for in Russia. According to demographics from 2009, the majority of working people in Russia live on a monthly income of $230. It is completely illogical to expect them to pay anywhere near what Win7 retails for in the United States. Please note, I didn't say it was unfair...not in terms of "fair" as defined by capitalism...but it IS illogical. Now, I'm not saying that Microsoft can't charge whatever they want for their product - of course they can. But if you want to curtail piracy in regions where people are poor, then adjust your market prices accordingly (localized versions only).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
100% agreed, market prices must be adjusted with the local economy where Windows 7 is distributed, otherwise, piracy will be rampant.

Reaction score
Microsoft does adjust pricing in areas where piracy is rampant. XP, for example, sold for $20 in China/Taiwan, and it did little to nothing to curb piracy.

Reaction score
Nothing is better than free cookies. MS real money comes from selling copies to enterprises where there are thousand of computers and they have to install original copy. Home users are just grain in the salt. Don't forget also if you purchased computer then 90% of the times you had already given money to MS once. I got my computer with Vista and it was crappy. so I decided not to give MS money for windows 7 and now I am using it free.

Reaction score
For everyone using a corporate computer there is probably a home PC. If you add up the cost of all the home PC's the cost would probably be more than the corporate license. After all, is that not the point behind getting the volume license, to save money in the long run. With this said, how can this statement be said.
MS real money comes from selling copies to enterprises where there are thousand of computers and they have to install original copy. Home users are just grain in the salt.
If you want to advertise how you are pirating, I can post your IP address for you.
so I decided not to give MS money for windows 7 and now I am using it free.

Reaction score
For everyone using a corporate computer there is probably a home PC. If you add up the cost of all the home PC's the cost would probably be more than the corporate license. After all, is that not the point behind getting the volume license, to save money in the long run. With this said, how can this statement be said.

If you want to advertise how you are pirating, I can post your IP address for you.
I don't want to advertise anything. People know what is best for them and I am not telling people how to pirate or not to purchase copy. If you have means and resources to pay for OS then I recommend people to do so. About me, Let MS decide itself by their own means to find out whether I am pirating or not. No need to threaten me by posting my IP address as it wont affect me.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The biggest problem with using 'free windows 7' is that the software is hacked/cracked to make it work without paying. Unfortunately that means that the person(s) who did so can place any sort of virus/malware/keylogger/ect/ect/ect within the operating system and your computer could be 'taken' from you at any moment (the person easily hacks in through a hole they built in the software).

Additionally, when something eventually goes wrong and you post in forums about your issues, there is really no way for the members to help since alot of the "fixes" that normally work, will not because of the changes that were made behind the sceens.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
so I decided not to give MS money for windows 7 and now I am using it free.
That is your prerogative, however it would behoove you to not advertise it on forums. All you're doing is "stirring the proverbial pot" so to speak.

Reaction score
Ok.. guys.. I am not using Windows 7 Free.I got it for the price of VISTA which I paid when I bought my computer. now let everyone be happy..

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned a reverse-russian joke in this thread. But I will.

"In Soviet Russia Windows pirates you!"

Reaction score
does microsoft need pirates?

I think Microsoft wants pirates...they want them to sell more and more pirated copies of windows so that every one get used to their operating system and in the end they want a generation of people who only knows windows and no other Os like Mac or Linux.After that they will come up with a new OS which can not be pirated....just take the case of Kaspersky- they have a market share of more than 45% yet pirated copies do not work for more than 10 days, they are so aggressive they can or will block pirated keys. My point is that it is not so difficult to create an Os which can actually prevent users from using pirated copies and the main aim of Microsoft is not to prevent piracy but to prevent other companies from making better Os than Windows.So guys let other companies flourish, give them your support by using their product( i mean linux or mac).lets hope for a better tomorrow where every one has a birth right to use technology with out paying huge some of money

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Tomorrow is today, there is no one forcing you to buy Windows or Apple or Linux (in fact many distributions of Linux are free). Personally, I'd rather see everyone with the birthright to food, clothing and shelter first and worry about computers and OS's much, much later.

Reaction score
If M/S made it so that the only way you could get copy was by prepaid download would that stop piracey I wonder? It would be a bit of a drag not getting a hard copy but maybe in the future it would slow piracey.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
They may want a few pirates just so they can force WAT on us but then they want WAT to catch the pirates and force them to pay up.

I have Miracle Whip Free (which is false advertising because it costs $4 a jar) in my refrigerator and Kraft was so concerned Microsoft WAT would try to make me pay for that a second time, like it does W7, that they put the 800 number right on the jar :p

And no mychael, there are plenty of programs that require internet access or a phone call to activate and there are hacks to simulate the authentication. In fact Microsoft provides the ability for corporations to run their own authentication server and have one product id for the whole place, so how hard would it be to create a local server to fake that? Also laptops come preauthenticated based on a table loaded into the BIOS and there is a common hack available to preload that table to any computer and make the OS think you are that brand laptop and use, for example, dell's standard key. In fact the list of these standard keys was accidentally leaked and posted all over the internet. As long as there is stuff people try to sell, there will be people finding ways to get it for free.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Tomorrow is today, there is no one forcing you to buy Windows or Apple or Linux (in fact many distributions of Linux are free). Personally, I'd rather see everyone with the birthright to food, clothing and shelter first and worry about computers and OS's much, much later.

Very well said Draceena! :beer:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I think Microsoft wants pirates...they want them to sell more and more pirated copies of windows so that every one get used to their operating system and in the end they want a generation of people who only knows windows and no other Os like Mac or Linux.After that they will come up with a new OS which can not be pirated....just take the case of Kaspersky- they have a market share of more than 45% yet pirated copies do not work for more than 10 days, they are so aggressive they can or will block pirated keys. My point is that it is not so difficult to create an Os which can actually prevent users from using pirated copies and the main aim of Microsoft is not to prevent piracy but to prevent other companies from making better Os than Windows.So guys let other companies flourish, give them your support by using their product( i mean linux or mac).lets hope for a better tomorrow where every one has a birth right to use technology with out paying huge some of money
One of the most disingenuous and specious arguments I have ever read... :rolleyes:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You should have posted that link in your first post. Simple forum etiquette.

By the way, welcome!

Ask a Question