SOLVED Startup Applications - which to uncheck?

Reaction score
Would appreciate advice on which of these I can uncheck safely. Image attached (I hope!).
Thanks.

Attachments

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Safely? All, except I'd leave the RAID Event Monitor on if you're using RAID.

Reaction score
Thanks CORE.
I'd never heard of RAID until I did the msconfig/Startup and it showed up on the list. I Googled it but have no clue if I'm "using" RAID.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Then you likely aren't. You can leave the Event Monitor on though, it won't do you any harm.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Looking at your attached picture I have to ask are you runing any kind of anti-virus program (these usually show up in msconfig and should be started when windows starts).

Reaction score
Yes, Norton - supplied by Comcast ISP as part of the subscription.

Reaction score
Yes, Norton - supplied by Comcast ISP as part of the subscription.
After reviewing your msconfig screenshot, it doesn't look like it's installed on your computer. As draceena has already mentioned, there's usually some type of entry in msconfig when an antivirus is running in the background. In your case, it's probably some type of scanner running on Comcast's server that inspects inbound/outbound traffic. Not sure it would detect malicious files transferred from flash drives as it would have to constantly scan your system for that.

Reaction score
Would appreciate advice on which of these I can uncheck safely. Image attached (I hope!).
Thanks.
It's all up to you as long as your system starts and then works well. :) Just my opinion, uncheck:

- RAID event <- I'm using RAID and have this unchecked, if I need it I launch manually
- Adobe Acrobat, it'll come back on though after an update
- Cyberlink
- Dell Support
- Live Central
- Microsoft Office

I also disable some services i never use, like Office Groove, CP -> Administrative -> Services

I have lots of stuff installed, but only 45 processes on start .

Reaction score
It's all up to you as long as your system starts and then works well. :)
Thanks Cybercore.

Tushman - I've attached a snippet of my Norton Security Suite. Does it confirm what you surmised about it not being installed on my PC? It runs in the background almost continually.

Attachments

Ask a Question