Hi, this is what I got.....

Windows 7 PRO 64 SP1
MSI MS7345 Platinum MoBo
DirectX 11
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
8GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
NVidia GeForce 8600GT / Viewsonic VX2035 LCD Wide
Pinnacle Studio 15

I am having problems getting up and running ,after I tried to disable a few services from running in the background to allow more resources to my Studio video editing program.

Which ones are safe to temporally disable to not cause these recent problems?

After completing my video, I exited out of the program, restarted computer, thinking this will reload all windows files and .or re-enable services...but sadly no.
I went to try to go back to a previous Restore point, but everything just hung. The screen got white, and it took a very long time to open up programs, when clicked on them. I went to BIOS, and changed Boot sequence from "C' drive to DVD/CD Rom, to boot off the Win7 CD to try a repair.

A Windows repair dialog window popped open. "WINDOWS ERROR", and "RECOVERY" opened up. "LAUNCH START UP REPAIR" opened up and it just ran and ran for a very long time, until I did a Hot boot. Before this, I inserted Win7 CD, "Press any key to boot off CD". "LOADING WINDOWS FILES". A light blue Windows screen with wispy lines and a dove was shown on screen.

The Win7 CD opened up, and I chose "REPAIR". "Searching for Windows Installations"...this took about 23 minutes. THEN it came back , and I clicked NEXT. "Start up repair searching for problems"...This took overnight to finish (from 8:30 PM to 9:15 AM) .......I clicked on "RESTART TO COMPLETE REPAIRS, IF SUCCESSFUL,WINDOWS WILL START CORRECTLY"...I removed Win7 CD, Clicked "FINISH to RESTART". "STARTING WINDOWS", with pulsating Logo, which ran for about 8 minutes until it got to the WELCOME SCREEN". I got the regular desktop, again, but every time I clicked on a program to open up, the round blue cursor just spins and spins for about 3 minutes.

I then tried to go back to a previous restore point, but it told me there were none???? WHAT? At least win WIN XP, I always saw many previous restore dates. Is there a way to save more than one restore point in Win7?

In WinXP, I could always hit the "Esc" key to end a program, but in Win7, how do you stop a endless revolving blue circle cursor, without always having to Ctrl-Alt-Delete, which I always have to do?

It seems when I want to end or disable any programs running in the background to give more to Studio resources, programs start to give me that annoying "NOT RESPONDING", with the White screen, and just hangs and hangs.

Is there Microsoft Windows site to load/replace any missing, or corrupted windows directory files to speed up this computer?

I know I could always simply reformat and reinstall windows7 once again, but I have done this three times in the last eight months and I'm getting tired of it. The last two had everything to do with Studio 15.

Seems that this puter is still unstable, and I don't know what is causing these problems that are in the Pinnacle studio program. And even though I closed out the Studio program, just using FIREFOX, I see NOT RESPONDING also is an issue,and I have to wait until it catches up...Could this also be a known problem with FIREFOX and also Adobe Flash plugins crash all the time too. Uhhhgggggg!

Thank you!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually start-up repair is designed to fix missing/corrupt system files. This can run from a recovery partition if your hard drive has one, from recovery DVDs if they were created after W7 install, or from W7 install DVD if you have that.

Restore Points are usually created once a week plus whenever major events, such as some windows automatic updates, occur. And yes your system should maintain several depending on how much harddrive space is set aside for them.

Here is a list of default services settings and
Here is a list of Services you can Disable depending on your set-up.

Reaction score
sometimes manufactures delete the start up repair. acer did that on my laptop. their idea was to do a factory default restore to fix corrupt files.
when you entered advanced boot option ( F8 ), start up repair is high lighted, pressing enter and it just shows a progress bar and stays on it, then the manufacture deleted that.
if its not in warranty no more, install a full version of windows and then go to manufacture support website download your graphics sound and optional webcam drivers. also any other driver you need for other add ons like hdmi.

Ask a Question