SOLVED SSD help needed.

Reaction score
Next month I'm going to be getting a SATA3 120 or 128GB SSD.I could use some advice on the steps dealing with: A: Should I get one that includes cloning software? B: Is there anything I need to change in Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 that need's to be changed. My current drive that it's replacing is WD Caviar Black 1.0TB., which only has 60 GB's used. I'm going to put Windows and my programs on the SSD. The drive it's replacing is then going to be re-formatted and used for my Recorded TV. My 2nd WD Caviar Black 1.0TB. drive currently has Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Recorded TV, Saved Games, Searches and Videos on it. Both current drives are set up as AHCI in the bios. Here's Newegg's link's for the one's I'm looking at :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=ssd_120gb_sata_3-_-20-211-551-_-Product http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=SSD_120gb_sata_3-_-20-233-191-_-Product http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=ssd_120gb_sata_3-_-20-167-042-_-Product

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford. I found out about that 1 or 2 days ago. It affect's their new Sand Force 2200 drive's. The 510 one I was looking at isn't a Sand Force model, but it does come with a few extra's the other's I was looking at don't have. Like the Intel drive's have a installable program for getting firmware updates and Acronis for cloning my current drive to the SSD. That's what part of my post is looking for help with. As I'm a newb with SSD's. I can install it no problem and also, am aware that I also need to purchase a SATA 3 cable for it for hooking to my mobo. The rest is alien to me. I'm not sure if any services need to be disabled or anything with SSD's. The drive Windows is on now is basically going to be used for WMC's Recorded TV

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It is highly recommended to do a new clean install after going to an SSD. Check the SSD forums to confirm. You could use one of the free cloning apps that are available but no SSD hardware I know of comes with a cloner program. Besides that, it is not recommended to clone from a HDD to an SSD. Some of the drivers are affected.

There is a free handy little app called "SSD Tweaker" which will automatically set the correct settings for you on the SSD. The only thing you'll need to do is to turn off the Windows 7 Defrag scheduler. Turn off the Defragmenter completely so that it doesn't run in the background.

Go to this link to get the SSD Tweaker utility: http://elpamsoft.com/Downloads.aspx

Reaction score
Thanks Nibs. The Intel 510 has a free downloadable version of Acronis True Image for cloning. It's part of the toolkit. I downloaded it about a month ago. Haven't installed it though.Which of those 3 look better for my sata 3 board ? OCZ's all get good magazine reviews, but too many bad customer reviews for various problems. Lack of firmware updates, slow firmware updates, drives perform good first few days and then bad or won't boot, etc. Kind of make's them sound like a cdompany to avoid.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Nibs. The Intel 510 has a free downloadable version of Acronis True Image for cloning. It's part of the toolkit. I downloaded it about a month ago. Haven't installed it though.Which of those 3 look better for my sata 3 board ? OCZ's all get good magazine reviews, but too many bad customer reviews for various problems. Lack of firmware updates, slow firmware updates, drives perform good first few days and then bad or won't boot, etc. Kind of make's them sound like a cdompany to avoid.
I have a good friend who works at OCZ, so I can give you the straight scoop.

OCZ was the first company to get big in consumer SSDs, the first company to move exclusively to SSD production, and they outsell any other SSD maker 2 or 3:1.

Everyone uses the same controllers and the same chips, so this is purely a game of numbers.

You see a lot of complaints because they sell a lot of products, and of course no one is ever happy when their product breaks. At the same time, I know for a fact that OCZ's support forums has 24/7/365 coverage from a team of real, live people whose sole job it is to provide support and RMAs.

It also doesn't help that, as the biggest name in SSDs, OCZ is most likely to attract the people who probably shouldn't be using a computer, much less installing an SSD on their own.

Please, I implore you to give OCZ consideration, not only as a friend of the company, but as someone who has invested in their products. The Vertex 2 60GB is a hell of a bargain, and their Vertex 3 drives are absolutely wonderful.

Ask a Question