SSD 70% Fragmented

Reaction score
Hi my OCZ 64GB SSD is at 70% fragmentation, what should i do as i know you aren't supposed to defrag it?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What program is telling you it is that fragmented? I have never seen a drive with that percentage of fragmentation. How much free space is on that drive?

The problem with defragmenting (any type drive) is it puts huge demands on the drive while the defragging program is shuffling bits of data around. On older SSDs, this can decrease the expected lifespan of the drive but that is not really a problem with newer SSDs.

Plus, and this is key, because of the way the scattered bits of data are directly accessed (instead of waiting for the R/W head of standard drive to move into position), fragmented files don't take longer to load (hence no need to defrag) - at least in theory.

If this is NOT your boot drive, there is actually an easy way to defrag the SSD without defragging (although it can be a little time consuming) but you need a spare drive.

If you copy everything on your SSD temporarily to a spare drive, then delete everything off the SSD, then copy everything back, the re-written files segments will be written back to the SSD in sequential sectors, thus together and not fragmented. Don't simply copy - you MUST purge the SSD before copying back.

Reaction score
The program is Disk defagmenter in windows ( The standard one) i went do defrag my data hard drive as it came up with 70% fragmented on the SSD (Boot Drive + Programs)

Reaction score
well i bought a seagate sata hd and it was defraged when i got it because i instaler windows 7on it and when it started it was 70 percent defraged

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
so it could be a problem with windows 7?
Not likely or millions of other users would be screaming about it too. And the fact of the matter is, since defragging is not recommended with SSDs, Windows 7 automatically disables defragging on SSDs. And the reality is, the OS does not deal with that. How the data is laid down on the tracks is determined by the file systems used (typically, NTFS), and the drive controllers, depending on the existing data on the drive.

My "guess" here is that this small SSD is simply overcrowded as that impacts fragmentation greatly, regardless the drive type. So I ask again, "how much free space is on that drive?"

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Less than 1Gb! That's likely a problem if this disk is used for anything besides stuff like photos (files that never change). That leaves no room for Windows to open files.

While there is no consensus among experts as to how much free space should be left on every drive, but generally, it is somewhere between 10 and 30%. I think you need delete some stuff off that drive.

Is TRIM enabled?

Reaction score
ive deleted some stuff an i have 4.89GB left now of free space. and i dont thimk TRIM is compatible as it doesnt show in the drive properties

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Okay, that is good. If me, I might still try the defragging method I suggested above.

Reaction score
sorry but is that defag thing on the TRIM link as ive checked tahat link and i cant find anything on defragmenting

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Defrag thing? Don't know what you mean. If you still want to defrag, you still should be able to do that from the Properties > Tools menu.

Reaction score
you said in your previous post: "I might still try the defragging method I suggested above"
but i couldnt find that post with that explanation on so should i do the standart windows defrag on the ssd?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I said above in post #2,
If this is NOT your boot drive, there is actually an easy way to defrag the SSD without defragging (although it can be a little time consuming) but you need a spare drive.

If you copy everything on your SSD temporarily to a spare drive, then delete everything off the SSD, then copy everything back, the re-written files segments will be written back to the SSD in sequential sectors, thus together and not fragmented. Don't simply copy - you MUST purge the SSD before copying back.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Then you need to free up more space for one. You can still run defrag from the Properties > Tools menu, or you can just leave it alone. SSD drives do not suffer performance problems, even if fragmented because there is no mechanical R/W head assembly chasing fragments all around the disk.

Ask a Question