SP1 Beta available for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Meh - I don't think I'll even install the actual SP1.

Ian, yes. I think it was TorrentG or Cat...

Reaction score
Yeah, it's perfectly stable on all my machines here, running great.

23 and 3/8 days current uptime on my main machine that I do everything on:

Attachments

Reactions: Ian

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
TorrentG, how come your Windows is marked as an evaluation copy? Haven't you registered yet?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Uh... You mean that once you install SP1 beta, your install is considered a trial?!

One more resin for me not to install SP1 beta!

Reaction score
No, the beta install is considered a trial. You can uninstall it and everything reverts to normal. When the SP1 goes gold, the beta has to be uninstalled anyhow to allow for that to install.

Makes perfect sense, since MS doesn't want people 3 years from now installing and using SP1 beta.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If I download and install this beta, what features, patches, or other benefits will I be able to make use of that I haven't gotten through Windows Update?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
True. But dies that mean that the official release will be in March 2011? Or is that just the end of the beta.

March for SP1 seems kinda long.

Edit: Core, I don't think there is anything new. Just updates for lazy guys.

Reaction score
If I download and install this beta, what features, patches, or other benefits will I be able to make use of that I haven't gotten through Windows Update?
Simply none.

Actually, the SP1 beta is a roll-up of all previous patches from before SP1 beta created and up until that time.

New Windows Updates do not install to SP1 machines when using the updater. They aren't offered at all.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks ;)

I wonder if they're going to add other things which aren't only updates, in the meantime. Hey, they could do alot in 3/4 months.

Uh. By the way (people have already made me notice this) when I write 3/4 I mean 3 to 4, not three quarters.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for SP1 release before I use a Backup Image. No sense in falling back now when I know I will want to with SP1 release. It is about time for a huge system cleanup but I will wait unless something comes up forcing my hand.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
TorrentG, how come your Windows is marked as an evaluation copy? Haven't you registered yet?
When you install the beta SP1, if you have a TechNet issued version of Windows 7, it'll even show on the lower corner of your desktop as such. The OS is shown as an evaluation copy. That was the case when I had the beta SP.

But when I installed my new drive (that 1TB Samsung HD103SJ), I clean installed everything, and didn't reinstall the SP, because although the beta SP did fine, when I tried to uninstall it, it was a nightmare. The computer (or partition) wouldn't even boot after removing it.

And another mistake was made, I installed the beta version of IE9 before installing the beta SP, and using Revo, I had to "force uninstall" IE9 to get it off of my computer. If you upgrade a browser prior to applying a SP, that's an issue with any Windows OS.

I just decided not to mess with it any longer until the "real deal" is offered, and I may block the real SP also. By the time that Windows 7 (with no SP) goes unsupported, the next version of Windows will be here. M$ is telling all potential customers not to put off buying 7 until the SP is released, so that's a dead giveaway that the SP will be of little benefit, except that it'll be a good time to do a reinstall, if your computer needs cleaning.

At any rate, if you want the SP, wait until it's released. That way, you'll have no problems removing the beta version.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any point to installing the beta, unless one specifically wants to participate in the testing aspect of it. The hassle of having to remove it before installing the SP doesn't sweeten the deal either.

Reaction score
New Windows Updates do not install to SP1 machines when using the updater. They aren't offered at all.
Slight correction. There are some patches offered for the OS and I.E. too. Not as many as without SP1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question