Some XP files remain

Reaction score
When trying to install some new applications on my Windows 7 machine, some applications will not install saying this software is not for a computer running Windows XP. I am not running XP I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. It is a legal copy and activated.
Where should I look and what should I do to correct this situation? An example, I was trying to install Windows Live Mail 2012 but it does not and instead installs Windows Mail 2009. Another example, when I search on the Microsoft website, it always warns me that XP is no longer supported. Final example, I tried downloading/installing some HP software for my scanner a warning sign said this software is not made for Windows XP. I have looked around the registry but to no avail.
Again, what is telling this software and Microsoft's website that I am running XP when actually I am running Windows 7 Home Premium???????????????????

Thanks

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit from a flash drive image as my Acer AOA 150 "ZG5" netbook doesn't have an optical cd/dvd drive. The netbook originally had XP Pro on it. The sequential installation dialogue indicated that the old XP Pro files would be saved in a separate folder after the installation. The old XP paraphernalia was indeed found in a folder called "windows old" which was quite large and which because it was redundant I promptly deleted from the hard drive. I have had absolutely NO XP "ghost" problems since the OS migration and all the updates from the Microsoft website promptly downloaded and installed without a hitch. The netbook is running an atom processor and 1GB RAM.
At first blush things were quite acceptable in the speed department (it's a netbook not a souped up gaming pc). I went into the control panel and turned off "system restore" as it is useless anyway (it never worked once in XP when I needed it) and sucks up a lot of CPU cycles and performance went from somewhat sedentary to quite brisk. I am very pleased with the performance of Windows 7 Ultimate in my notebook. No "shades of XP" problems whatsoever knock on wood.

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit from a flash drive image as my Acer AOA 150 "ZG5" netbook doesn't have an optical cd/dvd drive. The netbook originally had XP Pro on it. The sequential installation dialogue indicated that the old XP Pro files would be saved in a separate folder after the installation. The old XP paraphernalia was indeed found in a folder called "windows old" which was quite large and which because it was redundant I promptly deleted from the hard drive. I have had absolutely NO XP "ghost" problems since the OS migration and all the updates from the Microsoft website promptly downloaded and installed without a hitch. The netbook is running an atom processor and 1GB RAM.
At first blush things were quite acceptable in the speed department (it's a netbook not a souped up gaming pc). I went into the control panel and turned off "system restore" as it is useless anyway (it never worked once in XP when I needed it) and sucks up a lot of CPU cycles and performance went from somewhat sedentary to quite brisk. I am very pleased with the performance of Windows 7 Ultimate in my notebook. No "shades of XP" problems whatsoever knock on wood.
Thanks Pricedo but I don't have an "Windows old" file. I did a search and still did not see one. Thanks for the effort. I guess the old "XP Ghosts" may be here for a while. Thanks again!!!!

Reaction score
I also installed "Microsoft Security Essentials" as my freebie antivirus/malware software. MSE will not install or update on legacy XP platforms. The Microsoft update download server is definitely recognizing my pc environment as a w7 installation. Some of the Acer Aspire One netbooks came with "Windows 7 Starter" pre-installed so the w7 Acer drivers were included in the driver cab file in the Windows 7 Ultimate installation package. I did not have to go searching for a single device driver.

Ask a Question