Some new A/V & Internet Security Ratings

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

For me, I find some of these results quite interesting. I stumbled upon this while doing some AV research and checking on ratings, etc.

Thrax may find this interesting too, plus he may have more feedback regarding this website as I have never really heard or seen much about it.

Products' ratings

The article is rather long and extensive. I suggest going to their website to read all the particulars.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does this website have any financial interest in the above AV's that's listed? Even the one you like (ESET) is in the "not recommended" list. Avira, Windows Live One Care, ThreatFire and Avast 5.0 deserves higher ratings, also. I ran Avast for a long time (still do), I know firsthand it's better. You probably feel the same about ESET. When I get a chance, I'll research this site carefully. To begin with, they start with a clean install of XP SP3 w/IE8 installed. How does that compare with today? If you or I had the time, we could compile a similar report with the results we (or the sponsor) wants. Why don't they conduct the tests on a modern OS, such as Windows 7. I know firsthand that a lot of crap will be found on XP. When they reperform the tests on Windows 7, I'll take another look.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Apparently they're not paid by anyone. I just found it interesting, that's all.

I put more trust in the following site than I do any other. It's the one Thrax uses.

Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org

On this site you will find independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software. All products listed in our comparatives are already a selection of some very good anti-virus products. In order to get included in our main tests, vendors must fulfill various conditions and minimum requirements.

The following products are tested in the current main comparatives:

avast! Free Antivirus 5.0
AVG Anti-Virus 9.0
AVIRA AntiVir Premium 9
BitDefender Antivirus 2010
eScan Anti-Virus 10
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 4.0
F-Secure Anti-Virus 2010
G DATA AntiVirus 2010
K7 TotalSecurity 10.0 (new)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010
Kingsoft Antivirus 2010
McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010
Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0
Norman Antivirus & Anti-Spyware 7.30
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 (new)
PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AV 7.0 (new)
Sophos Anti-Virus 9.0
Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2010
Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware 2010 (new)
TrustPort Antivirus 2010

Look into the Comparatives section to find out additional tests and reviews. If you plan to buy an Anti-Virus, please visit the vendor's site and evaluate their software by downloading a trial version, as there are also many other features (e.g. firewall, HIPS, behaviorblocker, etc.) and important things (e.g. price, graphical user interface, compatibility, etc.) for an Anti-Virus that you should evaluate by yourself. Even if quite important, the data provided in the test reports on this site are just some aspects that you should consider when buying Anti-Virus software.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

On-demand Comparative Report - February 2010 Report (PDF - english)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll research and go with my own opinion, that's the way I've always done, and that's the way that I'll always be. If you have a test machine, try one you're interested in on that. That way, you don't screw up your main system.

Ask a Question