Slow system, any suggestion on how to test it?

Reaction score
Good day

For the moment, my system is slower than what it was using Win XP. I did a clean install of Win 7 , increased ram to 6 gigs.

5 seconds to save an Excel worksheet
6 seconds to openup an Internet web page

Processor: Q 6600
Ram 6 gig
Board Asus P5B
New hard drive

Any suggestion on how to test it or tweak it? Don't know if it is logical or mechanical problem

Martin

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
My first question is weather you are running W7 as 32 or 64 bit. If you are in 32 bit then you are not going to be able to use more than 3 gig of that Ram. Also, take a look at your Performance Index (go to Start > Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools) and look for components that are getting low scores

Reaction score
My first question is weather you are running W7 as 32 or 64 bit. If you are in 32 bit then you are not going to be able to use more than 3 gig of that Ram. Also, take a look at your Performance Index (go to Start > Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools) and look for components that are getting low scores

Good day

I installed Win 7 Pro (x86). Don't know if it is the 32 or 64 version. I work mainly in Excel 2007. Doing screen and text capture. Difference is seen for

-Text capture "Textsnap" from Hypersnap 6" perceptible delay
- Excel screen refreshing rate

Next is a text capture from Performance test ( in French)
Resume:
Processor: 7.1
Memory 7.1
Graphic: Desktop for Aero 5.1
Graphic for 3D & Pro Application 6.1
Hard disk Transfert rate 5.9

Lowest score is 5.1 from : Graphic: Dessktp performance for Window Aero 5.1 (translation)
Évaluez et améliorez les performances de votre ordinateur.

L’indice de performance Windows évalue les composants système clés sur une échelle allant de 1,0 à 7,9.

Processeur : Calculs par seconde 7.1
Mémoire vive : Opérations mémoire par seconde 7.1
Graphiques : Performances du Bureau pour Windows Aero 5.1
Graphiques de jeu : Performances graphiques pour jeux et applications professionnelles 3D 6.1
Disque dur principal : Taux de transfert des données sur le disque 5.9
Martin

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is change settings from "Appearance" to "Performance"
Of course you will lose Aero and effects, but it will run faster.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I installed Win 7 Pro (x86).
This would be the 32 bit edition. You would need the x64 version of Windows 7 to take advantege of all that ram.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Martin, looking at your spec what graphics are you running ? as there the low score on performance.

Ram 6 gig
Board Asus P5B
New hard drive

Reaction score
Hi Martin, looking at your spec what graphics are you running ? as there the low score on performance.

Ram 6 gig
Board Asus P5B
New hard drive
Hello VeeDaz

Graphic card is ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro
Martin

Reaction score
Hello Veedaz

For a test, did installed the Vista 64 bit version last hour. Now screen are flichering every second. Downloading your proposed file.

Hope it will resolve it.

Using Win 7, where do i look for drivers property ( not sure of the English word). In XP i use to look under start\computer\property\advance\Material

Martin

Ask a Question