Slight glitch networking W7 and XP

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a small problem with W7. I work in an office and most of the computers are XP. We are a media company, so my main job is to move files around between computers. To help with this, all of our computers are networked together. Each computer has the other computers attached as external drives for ease of use. We even have lots of these folders "docked" to the side of the screen so that we can monitor folders on other computers.

Enter our two new computers which are W7 (bosses didn't want to pay $100 each to downgrade to XP). Everything networked correctly, and we have them attached as network drives, but there is one slight problem that is just annoying enough that I have to ask about it here.

When the XP computers are restarted, all of the folders pop up fine, except for the W7 drives. Those we have to manually open and type in the password. Until then, the drives are "disconnected".

Is there a way to not have to manually type in the password before it connects to the W7 computers?

(Sorry if the problem is hard to understand. If you have any questions, just ask them and I will do my best to explain.)

Matthew

PS: As a bonus, can anyone tell me how to "dock" folders to the side of the screen in W7?

Reaction score
Found the answer: Go to "Manage Advanced Sharing Settings" and under "Password Protected Sharing" choose "Turn Off Password Protected Sharing".

Matthew

Ask a Question