Sleep vs Hibernate

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Mods, please move if not in the appropriate location.

Here is my dilema which is driving me nuts!!! :mad:

I have a Lenovo x201 with Win7 enterprise version and a docking station for the laptop.

I put the laptop to sleep an remove it from the docking station, then later when I put it back in the docking station and wake it up, the USB ports in the docking station are disabled. So I shut down and restart and everything is back to normal and the USB ports are enabled.

This, however, does not happen when I out it into hibernate.

Anyone has any ideas why is this happening?

THANKS !!!

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help or not but it cleared up a few things for me.

Power-Saving States

Windows7 supports a number of power-saving features for both desktop and laptop computers. Among these features are certain states – sleep, hibernation, and hybrid sleep – that Windows 7 enters when a PC has been idle for a particular length of time. While each of these modes drains less power than a totally alert PC, they do operate in slightly different ways. Here, we’ll take a look at what sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep states really mean and how they differ from one another.

Sleep State

Although power consumption during sleep state is lower than it is during full working state, the computer is still alert enough to be able to resume working again – almost immediately – when the user is ready. Basically, standard sleep state stores your current system status (open files, settings, etc.) in RAM, so your PC continues to draw enough power to keep that memory active. Since nonessential components are shut down, some energy is saved, but the "awake" RAM allows the PC to come to life much faster than it would if it were turned off or in hibernation mode.
For more details, see How to Change Sleep State Settings in Windows 7.​

Hibernation

When a computer goes into hibernation, it basically takes a snapshot of your current system status, including current settings as well as open applications and files. It then, in turn, writes this information to the hard disk and shuts down the computer. When you're ready to resume work, the computer accesses this stored information, returning the PC to the same point it was before hibernation kicked in. Although a computer generally comes out of hibernation faster than it performs a full reboot, the process does take longer than it would to come out of standard sleep state. It's more common to use hibernation mode with a laptop than a desktop due to battery considerations.
Related Reading: Enabling and Disabling Hibernation in Windows 7

Hybrid Sleep

As its name suggests, hybrid sleep is a mode that lies somewhere in the middle between sleep and hibernation. In this state, Windows records system information about open applications and files both in RAM and on the hard disk. In this sense, hybrid sleep is like standard sleep state with a failsafe provision in case there is a power outage or the machine shuts down while in sleep state.
That is, since the computer's information is stored in RAM, the PC will resume much quicker than if it were in hibernation or full shutdown mode – just like with standard sleep. The problem is, in the event of a power outage, this information would be lost so any unsaved work may be unrecoverable. However, since Windows also stores this information to the hard disk before going into hybrid sleep state, there is a backup of the work that can be restored in case of power failure. This power-saving state is more commonly used in desktop computers.​

reference: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/60295.aspx

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So how is the "Hybrid Sleep" enabled? I didn't see a link for instructions on this. Normally, during the day, I use the standard Sleep function. Then before bed, I run CCleaner (using only one pass), update & run a quick scan with MBAM, then shut it down for the night.

However, I do have a UPS, so it may not be of that much use to me, unless the battery dies.

Cat

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
In tried everything. 'Sleep' disables the USB ports on wake up, while 'hibernate' doesn't. It's driving me nuts !!!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well... I'd say sleep (that's what I do - wakes up really fast) because I rarely stick in USB drives nowadays... I can't quite remember, but I think you can disable what gets switched on / off in the hibernation and sleeping settings.

Semi off topic; how can I log directly into my account, when I resume from sleep? It's such a waste of time having the login screen.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Well... I'd say sleep (that's what I do - wakes up really fast) because I rarely stick in USB drives nowadays... I can't quite remember, but I think you can disable what gets switched on / off in the hibernation and sleeping settings.

Semi off topic; how can I log directly into my account, when I resume from sleep? It's such a waste of time having the login screen.

Aha!!! we're getting close. Anyone knows how to do that?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to point out; I haven't tinkered with my install since I left the forums, so I'm not sure that those settings might not be on linux or something :D

Edit:
Good news Kalario, I was right! :)
Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
tried that before, still did not work. aarrrgghhhh!!!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
BIOS? I'm just guessing. There might be something in there.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Don't mention the B word, that's something I never touch. Not sure I know where to start.

By the way, don't you have homework to finish? :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Don't mention the B word, that's something I never touch. Not sure I know where to start.

By the way, don't you have homework to finish? :)

I don't think FC has to do homework at this time in France. It's some kind of school break, national holiday, whatever.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree, that has gotten a little old. Fire Cat, although young, has contributed to this forum a lot. I see a very bright future for him in the coming years.

Cat

Reaction score
I have no idea , there is just SLEEP wich is definetly difftent from TURN OFF . Sleep mode is qute cool so im not turning off or rebooting the system for weeks

Reaction score
I'm having a couple issues regarding sleep and hibernate.

I built a new computer a few months ago and installed Window 7 Home Premium. I'm using this computer as the input to my TV for streaming movies so it's situated in a bit of an annoying place to reach. I have a wireless mouses and keyboard which I leave over on the couch to operate it all remotely.

The problem is that when I put the computer into hibernate, I have no way to restart it without walking over to the computer and pushing the power button on the front. From what I've read, all the USB slots lose power during hibernation. Is there any way around this?

I should also mention that I'm using hibernate and not sleep because when I put my computer to sleep, the power supply fan continues to run and it's quite noisy. If there's a way to have my fan turn off when I put the computer to sleep that would also solve my problem.

Reaction score
The problem is that when I put the computer into hibernate, I have no way to restart it without walking over to the computer and pushing the power button on the front. From what I've read, all the USB slots lose power during hibernation. Is there any way around this?
I'm sorry to inform that when a computer hibernates, all power is off. Thats the point behind hibernation.

Hibernation writes all memory data to a hibernation file on disk, so that the PC can be completely powered down. When waking from hibernation memory is re-populated from the data stored in the hibernation file. This process allows for a user to start back where they left off without keeping the PC powered up.

Hibernation is completely different than System Standby. System Standby maintains power to memory so the user can start back where they left off. Other system components can be configured to maintain power as well for waking from Standby. Since Hibernation is completely powering down the PC, the only way to wake a system in hibernation is to press the power button.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried going to Control Panel > Device Manager and for your mouse and keyboard set the power management options to "allow this device to wake the computer" ?

Reaction score
Yeah, I can use either a mouse or keyboard to wake up from sleep. But a fair amount of searching today is leading me to believe that waking up from hibernate doesn't really happen.

It looks like my second query, regarding getting the fan to power off might be the route to go. I'm not at my computer right now but I suspect I'm entering an S1 suspend mode instead of an S3 suspend mode. S1 leaves the CPU powered or something and so it's not safe for it to turn off the fan. When I get home, I'm going to see if I can switch the BIOS settings to make it enter S3 instead.

Ask a Question