Shutdown issues

Reaction score
Hi, I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Model dv6 laptop that I use at two locations ie work and home. I can shutdown the computer at home without problem but at work it refuses to shutdown. I have had the computer back to HP three times and there is nothing physically wrong with the computer. It has been totally restored to factory settings twice but the problem remains. I believe it is a wireless or network issue (I connect wirelessly at both locations and we also have a local area network at work) but cannot put a finger on the problem. I am pretty sure it is trying to look for something to closedown at the work site, hence the hang, that it doesn't need to look for at home. No other computers have the problem at either site but this is the only one using Windows 7. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To be honest I suspect it is something to do with your office network connection (mapped drives etc) but I wasn't able to really find anything in a search. Do you have network I.T. people at the office that could take a look?

There is this fix from Microsoft but I'm not sure it fits your case; still I suppose you could try it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but I am the IT person (totally unqualified and better known as "Hey Trace can you fix this for me"). I agree that the office network setup is possibly the problem but HP couldn't offer any advice and, after all the time I have spent trying to fix this, I am keen to track down the cause. I just find it odd that it only happens on this computer (the only one running windows 7). I will take a look at the microsoft fix and see what happens and if it doesn't work I'll call for reinforcements.
By-the-way - love your name "Trainable man". Are you the only one on the planet?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
By-the-way - love your name "Trainable man". Are you the only one on the planet?
He claims he is... but his ex-wife may have issues regarding that! LOL! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Yep, he's found trains are more fun to play with and he can switch them off when he wants.:D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you the only one on the planet?
Quite possibly.

Nibs, Can I help it if my ex gave up before training was complete? I need a woman with persistence and dedication ... and a little insanity wouldn't hurt.

Over here the women grow up hearing "there are plenty of fish in the sea" so ladies give up too soon; in Australia hopefully the ladies avoid going back into the sea for fear of the great white sharks :p

Reaction score
We Aussie women do stick with our men.

An old Australian battler lies dying in his bed. He calls over Shirley, his faithful wife of 60 years, and says, "Shirl, when we started out, tried to buy a business in the depression, went bust: you were with me"
"Oh, yes, Bruce", she says.
Then the war started, I joined up, and was sent to the front line, where I lost me legs. You stayed with me."
"Oh yes, Bruce" she says.
"Then, came home, couldn't get a job, due to me disability, and bought a farm."
"Oh, yes, Bruce", she says.
"The farm flooded, then just when we got over that, there was a bushfire, and then the drought, which wiped us right out: you still stayed with me."
"Oh yes, Bruce,"
"Now here I am, in excruiating pain, about to die, useless and you're still with me."
"Yes Bruce."
"Shirl."
"Yes, Bruce?"
"You're bloody bad luck"

Reaction score
Aussie bloke takes his sheila to a wife swapping party. Comes home with a Stihle chainsaw and Grey Fergie.

Reason Aussie women stay with their men is to prolong the suffering.:beer:

Last edited:

Ask a Question