Sharing a partition between Windows 7 and Vista. Sigh..

Reaction score
I am really getting angry (nicely said) about getting my partition shared and working...

Current setup:

Home PC: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Work PC: Windows Vista x64 Professional
Router: D-Link DIR-655

What am I trying to achieve; I want to share several partitions on both my Home PC as on my Work PC, so they both partitions can be accessed by both machines for copying several files and stuff which I need to be copied.

Problem:

I am getting the following error whenever I try to connect to my Work PC (Vista) from my Home PC (Windows 7): 0x80070035

When I try to access a partition from the Work PC (Vista) on the Home PC (Windows 7) I can browse through the folders, but cannot copy anything to it; it complains about having insufficient right or some other crap.

Things I have tried:

Googling the living **** out of me, but no luck. I found a few websites, but nothing provided me with a working solution... I already disabled Windows Firewall on both PC's. I am really getting pi**** about this, normally I am not that short-tempered, but this is really getting on my nerves...

I don't know how to get this working properly... And the weirdest thing is, I never had any of these problems when I still had Vista installed on both PC's. I only recently purchased Windows 7 Ultimate and installed it on my Home PC, cause it's more up-to-date and provides better "graphics"- and "gameplay"-experience in games...

The router is working fine, cause nothing has been changed when I was still working with Vista-Vista, but the problems started when I started using Windows 7-Vista.

Anyone can shed some light into this, or provide me with a solution how I can get the shares back working, so I finnaly can finish setting up my Home PC?!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi HHawk.

To say that you want to share a partition is a little confusing - makes it sound like you're working with a dual boot scenario.

Instead, I think you're really trying to share folders between the two PCs.

With the work PC, do you connect to a windows domain? If so, security policies might be getting in your way.

Both Vista and 7 are more secure than Windows XP, and this necessitates becoming familiar with the new mechanisms. It's pretty widely felt in the industry that this increased security is making life better for users.

It's also important to know that certain versions of Windows don't permit all sharing functions. For example, Home Premium won't permit joining a domain at all. I don't know all the details of file and folder sharing with Home Premium.

You might want to try a file synchronization solution like Live Mesh. Check it out at http://www.mesh.com. Basically, you create folders "in the cloud" and you sync these folders to your PCs. If you put something in the folder on one PC, it magically appears in the same folder on the other PC.

Cheers!
Greg [MSFT]

Reaction score
I am not using dual boot; just 2 PC's, one is called Home PC (which will go to my home soon) the other is a Work PC (which will stay at work). Of course when I am done with copying the necessary files. The Home PC is also much more powerful.

I am trying to share complete partitions, not folders.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Using a workgroup or a homegroup?

Reaction score
When my windows 7 laptop I got this past Xmas stopped performing adequately, as in, it slowed right down to a bare crawl, I decided to switch over to XP. Unfortunately I didn't realize the laptop wasn't designed to support XP, and, as the operating system is relatively new, there hasn't been much time to allow a bridge between the two for all the extra capabilities of the laptop. Namely, the touch pad and wifi adaptabilities. But that's my problem in the Drivers topic, if your interested in helping.

What this comment pertains to is that my brother, who has been a tech since before the new millenium, and my only techie, ever, tried to use a partition that already existed within my system (win7) to test out the capability of the XP, while perhaps retaining the original OS to fall back upon should it fail. When he did this, however, he somehow managed to overwrite some of the basic functions to the original, bulk partition (win7, obviously). What ended up happening, as far as I can understand, is that we couldn't switch back to 7 when XP started messing up, because we had corrupted its essential usage.

Again, I'm not a tech, but it seems to me that you might be experiencing a similar problem. Maybe your two systems aren't layered exactly within the same computer, but the logic remains similar. You might have already realized this, of course, and I could just be blowing steam. I tend to do that.

The solution we found, when we couldn't just switch back over to the original, pre-existing 7 from the XP, was actually available within the install process of the operating system. So we just reinstalled it, totally, and are still working out the process of getting everything ship-shape. But, the information that led us to doing so was told to my brother that it exists within the Windows 7 boot operation. I'm sorry I can't give you his exact information, because he isn't present at the moment, but if you look it up, I'm sure you'll find what he found.

Like I said. Probably not useful, but, that's what I had to offer, if anything.

Good luck, and keep trying if you want to. But, be mindful that you're not influencing your data with layers of incommunicable compy bs. I won't be eager to make that mistake again, myself. Cool?

Ask a Question