Setting up screen from laptop & other stuff

Reaction score
We've got Win 7 seemingly installed and working ok (apart from sound) on our old HP Pavillion ZV5000.
This model had a wide screen format but we are running another monitor (square 17inch) instead.
The trouble is we cannot get the sides in properly to read the display, top and bottom is ok but it's too wide.
Tried various settings but cannot seem to solve problem.

Also whilst we had it working under XP we cannot seem to find the setting in Win 7 to allow us to close the screen on the laptop without putting it into sleep mode.

Lasty cannot get sound to work. most recent drivers I found were for Win2000 and they don't seem to work.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
In regards to the external monitor config, you have tried the screen resolution changing for the 2nd monitor right not the 1st screen in the screen resolution window?
Make sure you are not selecting the "duplicate these settings" option under the Multiple Displays dropdown... You will need to either select extend or show desktop on 2.
maybe you can also install latest driver and see if that helps.

For screen close.. you have to go to control panel> power options.
there is an option on the left column.. "Choose what closing the lid does"
this is where you can change it.

For sound.. do you know what chip is installed? maybe you can search on the chip manufacturer's site.
could be Realtek, SiS, Via, etc..

Reaction score
Thanks. A few things happened since I posted. Lost screen resoultion in both 2nd monitor and laptop screen down to 256 colours and all settings greyed out so could not revert. Had to re-install O/S to fix.
Yep found the settings for power option, I'll re-check the drop down for mutiple displays.
Most recent sound driver I could find related to Win2000, it's a soundmax card according to system details.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Since you are installing an unsupported OS onto that laptop you will need to grab missing drivers directly from the respective hardware manufacturers. I'm not sure what sound chip and GPU your laptop is using without the specific model # within the ZV5000 family, but make sure you install the correct graphics drivers so you will have the best functionality with your multi-monitor setup.

Reaction score
We gave up on running the second monitor. Still trying for the sound.
Device manager shows problems with :
Base System Device
Realtek AC'97 Audio

Full model of laptop is ZV5022AP

I found some drivers from RealTek but that don't seem to work.I direct it to them to update drivers and it tries but fails with an error code 10

Reaction score
Hey Mychael,

It appears you are using the ADI1981B for sound on the laptop...
I read this on some site about the sound driver.
ADI1981B sound chips were used in lots of motherboards each requiring a unique driver. Please include your computer/motherboard info.

So that could be one reason.

Another thing you can try is this..
http://www.filecluster.com/downloads/Realtek-AC-97-Drivers-for-Vista.html

See if that works.

BTW.. what type of Win7 is it? 32/64 bit?

Reaction score
Win Pro 32bit. Have to get back to you about theMoBo model.

Reaction score
MoBo is just called a Hewlett Packard 089C 31.31

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
HP's link to product information leads to a blank help page, as always. Remind me to never buy HP... :rolleyes:

I found someone that had conveniently posted SiSoft Sandra specs on your exact laptop. It uses an ATI integrated IGP9100. The bad news is AMD only offers Windows 98 and 2000 drivers... this is an ancient piece of hardware. You're welcome to try to install it but chances are it won't work in Windows Vista or 7. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/integrated-2k.aspx Especially if you are using a 64bit OS installation!

Without a fully supported graphics driver, advanced graphic functions like multi-monitor setups will likely not function. All I can suggest is upgrading to a newer laptop...

Now about sound...

It uses AC'97 fax modem (!) but for sound, it is a SoundMAX chip. In other words, not Realtek.

This looks like the last driver made for it. This driver is designed for XP 32bit, so it may not work on 7, and if you're using a 64bit install it won't work period. http://download.cnet.com/SoundMAX-Integrated-Digital-Audio/3000-2120_4-170204.html?tag=untagged

Reaction score
Thanks kougar for all that. I'm not sure if I found that Soundmax driver before but in any case I'll try your link and see how it goes.
Not too fussed about the monitor.
Actually pretty pleased otherwise with how the laptop handles Windows 7. Everything else works fine, no crashes (so far) and it installed easily. No Aero features but overall and with only 1gig of internal ram it runs faster then the XP did.

Ask a Question