Setting up a home network using MSHOME

Reaction score
Hey there,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to setup an MSHOME network for a home network running Win 7 Ultimate on a desktop maching and Win XP Pro on a notebook computer?

When I try to set up the Win 7 maching it is labled "Network 4". I am hardwired to a Netgear 7550 wireless router through an ethernet cable to the desktop, and using a wireless connection for the notebook. I cannot find any way to create a MSHOME network on the Win 7 box. I want to print to my ieee printer that is hardwired to the Netgear router through a ethernet cable and be able to transfer files between the two computers.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ed Wood

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey there,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to setup an MSHOME network for a home network running Win 7 Ultimate on a desktop maching and Win XP Pro on a notebook computer?

When I try to set up the Win 7 maching it is labled "Network 4". I am hardwired to a Netgear 7550 wireless router through an ethernet cable to the desktop, and using a wireless connection for the notebook. I cannot find any way to create a MSHOME network on the Win 7 box. I want to print to my ieee printer that is hardwired to the Netgear router through a ethernet cable and be able to transfer files between the two computers.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ed Wood
HI Ed

If I were you I would set up a "workgroup" connection (works fine at home of course) because workgroup uses IPv4 which is more compatibile for legacy systems (IE XP) than homegroup.

Win 7 can handle IPv4 easily, but XP isnt great with IPv6 (homegroup)

Ask a Question