"Set up backup" won't work!

Reaction score
I upgraded from Vista and everything works well - except for Backup.

On the first screen it asks you to "Set up backup".

Clicking on that button does precisely nothing!

Nor does the button 'Select another backup to restore files from".

I've tried everything I can think of. There must be something simple I've missed.

I did a system restore to take me back to the first installation/upgrade to 7, but that did nothing either.

* I have since discovered a small flag on the task bar which says 'backup in progress' even though nothing is happening. It seems to be impossible to get rid of it or turn it off. The 'activity center' also shows a backup is in progress which is also nonsense.

Can anyone help?

Peter Morton

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can click onto that flag and open the Action Center, and disable (or turn off) backup notifications. You may want to contact Microsoft support regarding your backup issue. There may be others having the same problem.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
You can type Backup into the Start search box to bring up the backup control panel.

Also you might wish to verify the correct services are running, if they are not for some reason it might cause this. I don't know why but some services still fail to start correctly with Windows 7, but thankfully it is not nearly as bad as Vista was.

To check if Volume shadow copy and windows backup services are running and set to automatic in Services Console:

1. Click on Start, type Services in Start Search. When the Services page is open, scroll the page to find Volume Shadow Copy and Backup service.

2. Right click on them and check if they are started.

3. If the services are disabled, start the services and set it to Automatic and check if the issue gets resolved.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Since you did an Upgrade rather than a clean install, it could be causing this odd issue. Another thing to look at is any programs you've installed that add to the right-click menu (like winzip or some kind of anti-virus). I've had my backup behave the exact same as your experience and I eventually found out it was a-squared adding a right click option to scan that was breaking my backup

Ask a Question