scheduling a virus scan

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to schedule a virus scan with The Shield Deluxe antivirus program. The problem is, I want to schedule it while I am not using the computer and make it awake from hibernation or sleep (whichever works) on its own. It doesn't do that to my knowledge. I can schedule a scan through the Windows task scheduler, but it doesn't start the scan without someone manually starting it or scheduling the scan through the antivirus program. I could just schedule it through windows to open the antivirus program and let the antivirus program start the scan by itself, but it's not necessary. I wish that I could just schedule the computer to wake from sleep without needing to open a program, just make it wake up and nothing else. My guess is scheduling windows to open the antivirus program (windows won't start the scan is what I was saying before) or just opening a notepad for that matter is the only really effective way to do this. Am I correct? Also, if a scan runs for 2 hours without any more activity on the computer, and the computer is scheduled to sleep if there is no activity for 15 minutes, doesn't everyone's computer sleep before the scan is finished? I found someone that could tell me to manipulate the registry to make it sleep after 120 minutes even if there is activity in that time happening and therefore make it sleep after and not before the scan is finished, granted that the scan doesn't take longer than 2 hours to complete. Tweaking the registry didn't work for me, but maybe the scan was taking longer than 2 hours to complete. Is there a fix for this in Windows 7, or am I just not understanding something?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TaskSch.jpg
If you schedule the AV to run in scheduler then you can not only set time to start, but also set conditions such as only if idle and tell it to wake up for the operation.

Reaction score
I was aware of those things; I am not able to get the program to start the scan by having it execute a certain file. If I execute the file manually, just selecting it while I am on the computer, it won't start. Can you tell me if there is a certain argument or script that I can use to get the scan to start by itself, while I am away?

Reaction score
By the way, I can run a scan and schedule it and it will run on a schedule, too, but I have to do it all through the AV program and not the task scheduler.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If Shield Deluxe does not provide a way to schedule their product to run then I would not know the command. Just to show you how complex it could be, this is for Norton IS 2010 ...
"C:\Program Files\NortonSystemWorks\OBC.exe" /CUSTOM /SCHEDULE /AUTO
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~3\Navw32.exe /task:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Tasks\mycomp.sca"

Ask a Question