SOLVED Saving new contacts in Live mail

Reaction score
I've been using windows Live Mail for a while now and it's been pretty good but it does not allow me to add a new contact to my address book from the received email.

From an open email it should (I believe) allow me to go tool > Add contact > Sender and it then adds the senders address to my address book.

However "Sender" is not highlighted so I cannot click on it to add the address.

I can manually add new addresses to the list but not via the Tools option.

Is this another setting that I've somehow missed??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know where you see "tool". When I have a file open in my inbox via IE8 there is an "add to contacts" button right beside the name of the sender, with Firefox I don't seem to have this option. Since livemail is from Microsoft, as is IE8, oddities in other browsers doesn't surprise me.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried right clicking the message and selecting "add sender to contacts" ?

Reaction score
All email that I receive has "Add Contact" next to the senders name if they are not already in my address book.

Do you not have this option?

Have you tried re-installing Windows Live Mail?

Reaction score
Ok, I'm useing Live mail as a standalone. I can run it without having FF loaded so at the top of the email I have "tools" icon.
If I right click on the senders name I only get the option to edit the contact if it's allready there, no option to "add sender to contacts".
I don't see an "add contact" next to the senders name.

I'll try to re-install Live mail but was hoping it was just a setting I've missed somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is an example of what I see from Windows Live Mail. Note the Add Contact link, I don't understand why you would not have this as well.

Add Contact.png

Reaction score
Yeah, for me the Add contact is not there. I'm gunna do a re-install of Live Mail see if it fixes it.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not sure where FF is part of this? But, as I saId, you right click the message, in the inbox, and you should see the option.
The option to add sender to contacts list would be greyed out, of course, if the contact is already there, as you state.

fwiw. You might find it beneficial to cicik the icon with the small square with the white arrow (over on the right of the top bar), and select "Show menu bar", if you have not already done so.

Add contact, as Cliff says, is sitting right along side the senders name, again in the inbox

View attachment 1218

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry Cliff. I was writing whilst you posted!

Reaction score
Sorry Cliff. I was writing whilst you posted!
No worries dave, It always means more when two people are saying the same thing. :)

I'm hoping the re-install help. I can't image what else would need to be done, if that does not fix the issue.

Reaction score
Re-install did fix it.Had a mate send me a test email from his work which was not in my address book to be sure. Had the menu bar displayed all the time but before I did not have the add contact option irrespective of if it was a new mail or not.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Davehc, I access my hotmail/livemail through my browsers, not another app Microsoft tries to feed me; that is why I mentioned the IE and FF differences. I also don't run Windows Messenger 99% of the time and in fact have renamed the exe because they started executing it automatically every time I visit my hotmail account from my browser.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Faior comment. I do it the other way around. For family and business reasons, I have three hotmail accounts and two pop accounts with my ISP. I access them all in Live Mail.

Ask a Question