safe mode and win7

Reaction score
Hi - I have a new(ish) portege r600 running win7.I an trying to use 'create and restore' function,but it won't let me -it says 'cannot be used in safe mode'.I have normal screen etc -so I don't think I am in safe mode.I also tried creating a recovery disk, but it says I need the windows disk as files aere not available - I don't have the disk.IWin7 isssupposed to be on a partition.Help!

Reaction score
Im not quite sure i understand, Are you trying to do a fresh install of windows?

Reaction score
Im not quite sure i understand, Are you trying to do a fresh install of windows?
No, I'm just trying to create a restore point and a recovery disk, but the laptop says that I cannot do that in safe mode - even though I am not, as far as I can see, in safe mode.

Reaction score
On the computer is the desktop a black screen? And can you see any text in the corners saying Safe mode?

Reaction score
On the computer is the desktop a black screen? And can you see any text in the corners saying Safe mode?
I have a normal screen - but when I try to set a restore point, it says that it cannot be done in 'safe mode' - so it thinks I am in safe mode,I guess.

Reaction score
1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
3. Go to the boot tab and make sure that Safe boot is not selected.
4. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Reaction score
1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
3. Go to the boot tab and make sure that Safe boot is not selected.
4. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
Hi - well I tried - safe boot was not selected - clicked on normal startup-but now I am completely locked out - I am being asked for an administrator password - which I don't know(machine bought from ebay) and feel totally screwed.When I boot the machine I end up with request for admin password! Any ideas?

Reaction score
Was the operating system installed by you or by the seller? If it was installed by the seller you could ask them what the password is, Or you could download https://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html and reinstall windows on your machine.

Ebay computers may have viruses/keyloggers which could take your information and pass it on to another user. It is best to re-install to be on the safe side.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What TehZap said is true and possible, but it depends on the seller and the item. Did you buy this refurbished from a company that sells lots of computers? If so, it should have started in a factory fresh state, and as soon as you turn it on it asks you to create a account and make recovery DVDs, etc. On the other hand, if you bought this from a person that doesn't know computers and shipped it with all their crap still on board then by all means you should be reinstalling fresh.

But first let's get you into the machine ... I agree, easiest thing is probably to ask the seller for the admin password. Or you can find links to Windows Password Remover in our Freeware DB and try that.

Ask a Question