Run Windows 7 in Virtual PC - Discussion

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The thread above was created automatically as part of the new article system - of which there is only 1 article so far ;)

In relation to the article, if you are more adventurous than using MS Virtual PC you can always try VirtualBox by Sun:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I've used it when creating Linux virtual PCs and it's a great bit of software :)

Reaction score
I have installed Windows 7 on my development machine. It runs great.

I am trying to create a Virtual PC 2007 - Windows 7 virtual machine. The installation stops at the second stage "Expanding Windows files (0%)...". It will stay at 0% indefinitely.

The settings are: Windows Vista, 40 GB dynamic hard drive, 1 GB RAM, network card, etc.

I had no trouble creating a virtual machine from the Windows 7 Release Candidate.

Why is this virtual machine hanging? How can I complete the install?

Reaction score
I am trying to create a Virtual PC 2007 - Windows 7 virtual machine. The installation stops at the second stage "Expanding Windows files (0%)...". It will stay at 0% indefinitely.
Not indefinitely, just very, very slow. Must have been at least an hour, followed by a few more hours to finish unpacking files. Once it finished unpacking files, the rest of the install ran at more-or-less normal speed. It's now up and running as a virtual Win 7 on real Win 7 (both RTM), with a few issues:

No sound. Not a big issue for me, but it may be for some people.

Installing Virtual Machine Additions is tricky. Detach the CD drive or release any .iso file. Try to install VM Additions from the Action menu. You'll get the first dialog about installing, then nothing. Now open "Computer" in Win Explorer. Open the CD/DVD drive, and you'll see the "CD" for Virtual Machine additions. Open the Windows folder, and you'll see Setup with the install files. Run Setup. From there, it should work.

No networking! I can't figure this one out. I opened Windows Firewall on the real Win 7, and added Virtual PC as an authorized program. Still no joy. How do I get my network connection to start working?

Reaction score
I did get finally Windows 7 to install in Virtual PC. I think I just needed to be patient.

To get Networking to work for the virtual machine,
1. Stop the virtual machine.
2. Go to the Settings of the virtual machine.
3. Click Networking from the list.
4. Select the network adapter that you want to use from the physical machine.
5. Click OK and all should work fine.

If this does not work make sure that the network card drivers for your network card are installed on the virtual machine. Check for the device working in the Device Manager in the virtual machine.

Reaction score
x64 doesnt seem to work.

Looks like the CPU that virtual PC uses is x32 only. As I got a error shortly after booting an OEM Win7x64 Pro DVD on Virtual PC. I'm thinking the MS engineers will be releasing an update to address this shortly. (No idea if Hyper-V or Virtual Server can address this.)
My 32-bit V-PC's run just fine however. (I have 5 currently)

On the plus side, Virtual Box works quite well with this version with the added bonus of being able to use multiple CPU's!

Attachments

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Jamesblonde001! I use a few VM's myself. My main one is Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode x32. Virtual Box from Sun does work quite well, and there's one available from File Hippo, VMPlayer. I currently use these three, but have also used VMLite, it has the same version of XP Pro that the Windows one does, but you don't have to deal with the hardware issue. Therefore, you can run it on Home Premium too, provided you have at least 3GB RAM (64 bit). You can even run it on Starter 32 bit, if you have 2GB RAM. Besides the one from Windows, Sun is probably the best of the free ones. Hope that you enjoy your stay here, and find this forum to be a great place to learn, as I certainly have learned. It's friendly here, too. Ian and the moderators do a great job of running things here, although not with a heavy hand unless necessary. Enjoy Windows 7!:)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been looking around at the articles, and noticed one thing: the link provided for VPC is only valid for Windows 7 Pro to Ultimate, so you won't get it to work on Vista or XP.
The new link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

It works on all windows versions and even though it shows a warning messages saying it is the wrong Windows version, it will install without problems.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's interesting, I bought the Anytime Upgrade to Pro, mainly for this feature, so that I could assist another member of this forum. She had a question as to whether you needed to install an AV within it, and not having it myself, I couldn't 100% tell her one way or the other. I wished I had tried to install it on Home Premium now.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah well. Though, keep in mind this: this version of Virtual PC DOESN'T include XP mode, unless you have an iso image of it. If you did need XP mode, well it wasn't a waste of money.

Happy I informed you,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I didn't think you could get the most recent Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode, unless you have Pro or above. I do have a couple of the iso images of it, though. You can have the very same XP Pro SP3 image for free. There is a program on here that uses that very same XP Mode file. The program is called VMLite (not to be confused w/VMWare). Go to the forum interface, click Search, make sure that "threads" are checked, type in "vm lite", w/o the quotes. About the 12th or so thread down is one called, "XP Mode in Windows 7 w/o Hardware Virtualization". The instructions for it are in the first post, everything is free, and it's the same copy of XP Mode that runs on Pro or above, only a different VM. It's a decent program for someone who doesn't have a disc to install within a VM. And BTW, this copy of XP Mode doesn't work in just any VM, I've already tried. Check it out.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks!
I wanted to know, can I download the XP iso alone, without a s0oftware with it? And when you "run" the iso, is it like an install CD?

Thanks,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
And when you "run" the iso, is it like an install CD?
An ISO is an image file of the install CD. You create an install CD from the ISO image. There are ways to mount an ISO so that you don't have to write the ISO to media. However this is only an option, if you do not need to reboot.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
An ISO is an image file of the install CD. You create an install CD from the ISO image. There are ways to mount an ISO so that you don't have to write the ISO to media. However this is only an option, if you do not need to reboot.
Thanks, I allready knew that, but what I meant was, when you download the iso image for XP mode, is the iso image and iso of the installtion dvd?

Reaction score
I use virtual box myself, I run both a windows 7 and windows xp virtual machine. Fire cat with virtual box u can boot from an ISO without burning it to a disk, in most cases however downloading a Windows XP ISO from the internet it's illegal. Finally yes, the iso will run as if u are booting normal Operating System installation disk ( as cooley stated u mount them ). Virtualization is awesome and I cannot tell u how usefull it can be to someone in computer networking like me. Also I find it usefull when programming, for example testing all the bugs can be dangerous if your just running it off your normal OS u use everyday, but when using a VM it takes a little bit of the stress away.

and sorry lol i just read your last post as i was typing this, I will leave this up so other ppl can read. I don't know about XP mode I never used it.
"is the iso image and iso of the installtion dvd?"
I would assume so fire cat.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, the iso will run as if u are booting normal Operating System installation disk
Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
fire cat, I've tried to use that same iso image with other VM's, and it didn't work. Also, this particular ISO isn't illegal, it's straight from Microsoft (or their supplier, Digital River).

Ask a Question