SOLVED Reload Windows 7

Reaction score
I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on a small hard drive (160 gb) along with about 25 misc. programs. A second, separate 1 tb hard drive contains all our data - documents, photos, and audio files. The PC is demonstrating enough nagging little problems to make it worthy of a Windows reinstall. Anyone know a little trick to reinstall the OS without losing all the programs?

Reaction score
Is the install of Windows 7 a factory install or did you load it for a disk you have?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no trick. If you cloned your HD back when the OS and programs were freshly installed then you can restore that backup but any custom W7 install will require you to reinstall your programs as well.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying Trainable. The point I am making is that you can run the repair console or you can try to reinstall Windows over the old install of Windows without affecting the programs... possibly. Some manufactures of computers have proprietary tools that maybe able to help in this case.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply; it's a factory install and I have the disc.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think you are jumping the gun. 15 years ago, reinstalling the OS was a common practice to fix just about any problem. But today, it is a last resort tactic, one used when all other options have been tried, and failed. This is due in part because a re-install will put you back months or years in security updates and patches, not just for the OS, but all your security and other programs too.

I might suggest you try this first.

Ask a Question