Real software that really works

Reaction score
Ok, there is alot of software out there that preaches it will optimize, cleanup, etc. What I want to know is, real software that works such as finding real virus's without having to pay an arm and a leg. Such as what repair people use. Is there such a thing?

Reaction score
+1 to that. Both work very well. I've actually upgraded my Malewarebytes to the the registered version.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I also run them both, Malwarebytes has caught a few things that MSE missed (on my notebook). But I don't have the registered, or "active" version. I just update & run a full scan twice weekly, and a short scan before shutting down for the night.

Being that MSE is an active AV & Malware protector, the registered or "live" version of Malwarebytes wouldn't bump heads, would they?

Cat

Reaction score
Being that MSE is an active AV & Malware protector, the registered or "live" version of Malwarebytes wouldn't bump heads, would they?
Cat
Haven't yet and I upgraded MB about a fortnight ago.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Viruses have grown exponentially over the years and no 1 program is going to catch everything. The truth is, the most popular programs such as Norton and McAfee are the programs the virus makers test their software against; so as programs become more and more popular, such as MSE has been, those will be used by the jerks that make the viruses.

My rant...
I hurt enough people by accident with misplaced or misunderstood words; I will never see the point in hurting people on purpose with a virus. Viruses have been done to death people, it's old news - find some new entertainment or get a job to keep ya busy; heck, write an i-phone app.for $.99 and get people to pay you money instead of you making money for Symantec and McAfee. Who do you impress with your virus? Your mother? Your grandmother? Certainly not me.

Reaction score
I reckon the rogue virus writers are just like the graffiti artists who get street cred from "tagging"..It'll never stop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have seen some graffiti that I would truly call art, but tagging the gang names isn't in that category.

Reaction score
Well yeah but you get the point I was trying to make.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, I do.

I would say both viruses and graffiti are so commonplace any more that you couldn't get a reputation from either, just possibly a jail sentence. On the other hand they could use their programming skills or artistic ability for positive things and maybe even generate some income.

Reaction score
It does make you wonder doesn't it. They certainly must have some skills. Maybe some have normal day jobs and it's just some underground competition amongst themselves to see who can write the best virus.. Bit like the challange hackers have to see who can hack the best sites.. Dunno, but sure is a pain.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am sure the vast majority of the people who write viruses are basically losers.

These are the people you would de-pants on the way home from school when you were 12 years old.

They're the ones that "never got the chick".

Stayed home and tried to emulate Holden Caulfield's roommate in "Catcher In The Rye". (Whilst the stock prices of Jergen's went through the roof.)

Rode bicycles that had the "ring ring" bell mounted on the handle bars.

The remainder are just disgruntled sociopaths.

Reaction score
Most of the major virus writers are doing it for massive profit. That's what the huge botnets are all about and their spam too.

They get lists of peoples' private data, including credit card numbers etc...and sell it to others on IRC, as one of their methods.

It's freakin huge!

The rest are made by the a/v companies themselves (or so many believe. - grain of salt type thing.)

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Unfortunately, these virus writers (not those who spreads them, but the actual writers themselves) are above average in intelligence. It's a total waste of their talent to use their skills to ruin the lives of others.

But deep down, the AV industry thrives off of these people's work. It's a multi billion dollar industry, and one that has to try to stay a step ahead of the bad guys, it's hard to do so 100% of the time. No single AV (or suite) can "catch" everything, and for this reason, I always run Malwarebytes an an "on demand" scanner on every Windows OS that I have.

If there are any one of you that thinks that the AV industry wants the bad code writers to simply stop, think again. If anything, the entire opposite is true, unfortunately. The profits are huge for these companies, while many of them do offer "free" solutions, to take advantage of all of a companies features, you must pay for it.

On the other hand, MSE is the one that has the incentive to stop the virus writers. They don't have a paid product (unless it's a commercial one), and as such, they work hard to produce a working product that leaves a small footprint, and is easily configured, and doesn't interfere with the normal operation of your computer. Yet it is highly effective, and combined with an "on demand" scanner like MBAM, you have more than adequate protection in most cases.

Cat

Reaction score
There has been viruses (though generally not so malicious) since Windows 3.11 which is as far as my memory goes back.. I don't know how big Microsoft was in those day but it certainly was before the general public got online to any great degree.
Wonder if we'll ever see a time when Unix/Linux/Mac has to seriously worry.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know about the viruses, but as I mentioned before, and it's a known fact, Linux & Mac both, as well as Windows, are subject to "remote code execution". That's much worse than a virus is, perhaps the worst thing that can happen to any computer user.

If the attack is successful, the one whom launched the attack can literally take over your computer. Think about that for a couple of seconds, the attacker can do pretty much what they wish with your computer. Such as stealing your data, using your computer to infect others, and on and on.

If this were to happen, and you have a recent good backup, the best thing to do is run DBAN in autonuke mode, making sure that all accessories are detached from the infected computer. Then, there are various discs for download that includes a virus cleaner, it wouldn't hurt to run that.

Then, you can use a tool such as Partition Wizard to repartition your disc, as DBAN will destroy whatever is on the hard drive, including partitions. And finally, restore your backup.

In the case of Linux, which most of their OS's or "distros" runs Firefox, the No Script add on is your best defense against this attack. It is well documented on various Linux forums. As for Apple Mac, I don't know what to advise for prevention, as I don't know what optional browsers runs on them, other than Safari.

Also, in the case of Linux, FF 3.6.4 was supposed to fix the issue, it has been a known issue since sometime in 2006. In fact, on one forum, there's a thread that's been open since that time on that subject, and I still get informed of any new answers. Hopefully, it will stop.

So to answer your question, all users of any brand of OS can be subjected to that particular attack. If you have Firefox, the No Script add on will help with Windows, too. I only allow scripts when necessary, and even then, only temporary permission is given, such as to make a purchase, pay a bill, and in some cases (such as Opera Mail) to delete unwanted mail.

I hope that my post sheds a little light on the subject. The threat of Remote Code Execution is real, and should not be taken lightly.

Cat

Ask a Question