Random Freezes

Reaction score
I've been experiencing random freezes. These are total lockups - no response whatsoever from the system. Usually my first warning is when I come back from being afk, and see that the screens havn't gone into powersave.

This problem is not new, and has happened about 4 times since I started using this computer a month ago. It has never happened while i was in the process of doing something, but has happened several times when I was away from the computer for only a short time.

Tasks running seem to have no effect. I've seen it with like 50 windows (inlcuding several CPU hungry game clients) open, and i've seen it with nothing but 1 chrome window with half a dozen tabs and a couple of folder windows open.

Sometimes it's happened within a day of last restart, othertimes the system has been running for weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go next, or how to go about debugging this?

When the system restarts after such a crash, i get the screen offering to start in safe mode or start windows normally.
Choosing start windows normally, results in a Windows Defender window opening upon startup, saying that the windows defender service stopped, and prompting me to restart it, which I always do.

I doubt this could be due to malware, as the first instance of this crash happened when the system had no exposure to the internet other than windows update, and downloading drivers from manufacturer's websites.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64.

System specs: (from CPU-Z)
CPU PSN : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor
CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V
CPUID : F.A.0 / Extended : 10.A
CPU Cache : L1 : 6 x 64 / 6 x 64 KB - L2 : 6 x 512 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 6144 KB
Core : Thuban (45 nm) / Stepping : PH-E0
Freq : 802.69 MHz (200.67 * 4)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : M4A87TD EVO
NB : AMD 870 rev 00
SB : AMD SB850 rev 40
GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
GPU Clocks : Core 822 MHz / RAM 1804 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0
RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Single Channel
RAM Speed : 668.9 MHz (3:10) @ 9-9-9-24
Slot 1 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Kingston
Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Kingston

SPD Tab of CPUZ shows

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Storage:
Kingston SNV425S264GB - 64GB SSD (boot drive)
ST3120026A6
1TB WD MyBook USB 3.0
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 dvd burner

Full CPU-Z information (too large to be attached to post): http://www.mediafire.com/?zr0v9j3zroa0rzw

Last edited:
Reaction score
Zipped lists from those programs attached.

No dump was produced.

(Edit: 8:20 EST - updated driver list after plugging in my WDMyBook 1TB USB3.0 external hdd)

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Zipped lists from those programs attached.

No dump was produced.

(Edit: 8:20 EST - updated driver list after plugging in my WDMyBook 1TB USB3.0 external hdd)

1. Still waiting for your screenshots of CPUZ memory and CPU tabs.

2. Update:

ElbyCDIO Filter Driver 5, 2, 1, 3 SlySoft, Inc. CloneCD 2/15/2007 8:57:06 PM 2/15/2007 8:57:06 PM C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys

USB 3.0
ASS Support

Reaction score
Thanks!

Uninstalled clonecd to get rid of Elby (ccd was a demo version that's expired anyway)

Updated realtek and jmicro drivers (versions now dated 2/16/2011 and 11/25/2010 respectively)

Can't find a newer version of the USB 3.0 drivers, nor do I know what ASS Support is.

And heres the right CPUZ screenshot:

It also looks like i'm a few versions behind on the BIOS (1005 - there's been 4 versions since, one of which says it improves stability), but that sounds like a somewhat risky thing to update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. Enable AMD Cool & Quiet.

Updated realtek and jmicro drivers (versions now dated 2/16/2011 and 11/25/2010 respectively)
Yes, I saw that in your updated drivers list. Good.

Can't find a newer version of the USB 3.0 drivers, nor do I know what ASS Support is.
"Stands for" ASUS Support. :)

Reaction score
1. Enable AMD Cool & Quiet.

Yes, I saw that in your updated drivers list. Good.

"Stands for" ASUS Support. :)
How do I enable Cool and Quiet?
I'll check the bios next time my computer freezes and makes me reboot, but what is the setting in windows that controls it?
I thought it was enabled, because my CPU clock multiplier varies depending on load. Is CandQ something different?

Oh, I see ;-) Well, the version they have avail is still the same version I have :-/

Reaction score
How do I enable Cool and Quiet?
You should know your bios better. Bios manual that comes with your motherboard will give you some hints. You can also try resetting bios by loading setup /optimized / fail-safe defaults.

Reaction score
You should know your bios better. Bios manual that comes with your motherboard will give you some hints. You can also try resetting bios by loading setup /optimized / fail-safe defaults.
I will check that, i meant, what needs to be done to enable it in windows? Other sites say you need to have "balanced" or "powersaver" windows power configuration, but i have modified the specific plan settings (to turn off hibernate/sleep among other things), and want to make sure i'm not preventing it from being used due to windows settings..

Reaction score
It was already enabled - is something on CPU-Z indicating that it is not enabled?

Reaction score
Updated bios to latest version.

Froze today.
System is running memtest while i'm at work. Hopefully that will fail.

What are the next steps that I should take to try to investigate this further?

Reaction score
Further steps:

1. Load setup defaults in the bios, fail-safe defaults option if you have it
2. BIOS upgrade might be a good idea
3. Command Prompt >> sfc /scannow
4. Test the hardware:

memtest
prime95 (watch the TDP during the test)

Ask a Question