SOLVED Random Freezes, After Reformat and During ReReformat

Reaction score
I have searched all over the net for anyone with a similar problem to me. I have not found anything that can help.

I have a desktop that i built myself. It is pretty old but was working fine a week ago.

ECS nForce4-A939 with Bios 1.1g (Updated Bios)
AMD Athlon X2 4400+
2gb Crucial Ram DDR PC3200
XFX GeForce 9600 GSO
SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality
1.5tb HDD that is relatively young
A pci USB insert card

I recently started getting a lot of BSOD with 0xf4 being the most recent.

After all of these problems, i said screw it, im going to reformat and reinstall Win7 Build 7600

I reinstalled and thought everything was going fine, until day 2 of a fresh install with just Sound drivers, and Video drivers installed.

Here are my problems:

Sometimes the computer will freeze during POST or while booting.

The computer will freeze between about 1-30 minutes after logging in to win7.

Even when I put the Win7 disk in and attempt to reformat and reinstall, it will just freeze randomly. Mouse wont move, the HDD light is either on solid or not on.

I have ran memtest86+ and no errors to report.

I have tried booting in without the sound card or usb card in and it still freezes randomly.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and downgraded and upgraded video card drivers. Still freezes. I have done the same thing with the sound card.

My temps are fine. I did have my CPU overclocked and it was stable for over a year prior to these problems. Although i did put the clocks back where they should be and i am still getting random freezes anywhere between when its posting and when im browsing in firefox.

I did have my GPU slightly over clocked stable for over a year prior to these problems. it was overclocked with software, i have not set them back to where they should be, but i didnt think i had to because it was a fresh reformat.

I also have taken out my 500W PSU and put in a 600W

I am stuck and need this computer running stable by Wednesday afternoon. I have tried everything i can think of. I am currently acquiring a newer build of Win7 and will be trying that.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Turns out that the CPU has gone bad.

I replaced the 4400 with a 4200 and was able to download, install and run Futuremark06 with no freezing.

Reaction score
Ok, well i thought it was going great because there was no freezing for a few hours.

It started to freeze randomly, and even froze in the bios.

I Just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram. I reformatted, and reinstalled Win7. So far so good. I am thinking it was the Motherboard.

If it freezes again, then it is either the Video Card or the Hard Drive.

I"ll post again if i get more freezing.

Ask a Question