Random Crashes on New Machine

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a freshly built custom system and I keep getting random reboots. Haven't seen a BSOD yet, not sure if that's a good thing or not.

My system specs:
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD/USB3, AM3, AMD870, 4xDDR3, USB3, ATX
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black, 3.30GHz, 6MB, AM3
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Harddisk: WD Caviar Black 750GB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Graphics card:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sapphire Radeon HD 6870, 1GB, Vapor-X
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Memory: 2x Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]PSU: Corsair Gaming Series GS700, 700W, ATX [/FONT]

I run Win7 x64.

Haven't installed any drivers except for the Motherboard from the CD that was in the box + the Graphics card drivers from the CD.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

P.S. Also, I have the Antec 902 Gamer Case v2 and the fans almost serve as an air conditioning, those things are cool in every sense of the word. So overheating is (almost) definitely not the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
That's more than likely your problem. You installed motherboard driver's from the cd that came with it. Those cd's are always have outdated driver's, except for when the motherboard was originally released. Go to Asus's website and download all updated driver's for your motherboard. Also, go to Realtek's site for any LAN or HD Audio driver's.

Reaction score
There are so many BIOS updates for my motherboard. Should I do any of these?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You only do the LAST (latest) BIOS update. Read the directions carefully and make sure you do not loose power while it is being done.

Reaction score
I won't update the BIOS. However, I installed new drivers for my LAN and Audio and haven't had a random crash today yet. Looking good so far!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you machine has problems sleeping/hibernating or waking after then try the BIOS update.

Reaction score
Damn.. just had 2 crashes again in a row. Then did a manual restart and got the BSOD. This is pissing me off so bad.

I attached the .dmp file.. Not sure if that's helpful, I hope so!

What I also notice is that sometimes after a crash my USB devices don't work.

Hoping to hear your thoughts on this, thanks very much guys

*EDIT* Can't add the .dmp file. If it's useful, please let me know how to get it on here.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You should update your BIOS to the latest firmware version for it. That might solve some compatibility problems. It's really not that hard to do either.

When installing drivers always do the motherboard chipset drivers first before anything else.

Check your RAM settings to ensure that it's running at the correct frequency and timings.
Are you running in AHCI mode? Have you overclocked or adjusted any other settings in the BIOS such as CPU or RAM timings?

Reaction score
If you use a AMD video card AMD came out with a hotfix for the 11.5 drivers on this past Thursday. Here's a link that Maximum PC posted about and a direct link to the download. Maximum PC article: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_catalyst_115b_hotfix_resolves_flicker_issues . AMD's link for the download: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx . That 2nd link is the only way you can get it. I've got it on my pc and have had no issues since installing it.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If you use a AMD video card
If you'll check his computer specs you'll see he's using an nVidia GeForce GTX470 card.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
In all fairness to brkkab, the OP has 2 sets of specs listed. In the OP's first post, there's a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB graphics card listed.

Under UnluckyGuy's computer specs, it looks as though he has another computer. Neither the CPU or GPU, or the HDD is the same as that is the first post.

Cat

Reaction score
Nibs. In his post about this issue he's having his specs in the post state he's using a Saphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Vapor-X card. Thursday AMD released Catalyst 11.5b, which is a hotfix for the 11.5 driver's released earlier this month.

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm not sure if I should update my BIOS. I read from hundreds of people about their installation failing and then not being able to use their computer at all..

Is it worth the risk? What if I crash during the installation, that would suck, to say the least.. Are there any options to try before?
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have personally flashed dozens of BIOS on that many computers and never had one failure.

The safest, surest method is to do it from DOS with a floppy disk. I specifically have an external USB floppy drive just for this purpose.

Some motherboard manufacturers such as Gigabyte offer an handy way to update the BIOS from the BIOS itself while the update file is stored on a hard drive or USB flash drive.

The most important thing to remember is that DO NOT interrupt the updating process, which usually takes about a minute or so. Be sure of your power and that it won't cutoff in the middle of a flash.

I personally have never heard of "hundreds of people" and their BIOS updates failing. I have heard of a few, but very few and far between. If it was such a difficult and risky process then I don't think that the motherboard makers would offer the updates in the "Download" sections of their websites.

Once you've done it, you'll say to yourself: "Wow! That was easy!"

Reaction score
I have personally flashed dozens of BIOS on that many computers and never had one failure.

The safest, surest method is to do it from DOS with a floppy disk. I specifically have an external USB floppy drive just for this purpose.

Some motherboard manufacturers such as Gigabyte offer an handy way to update the BIOS from the BIOS itself while the update file is stored on a hard drive or USB flash drive.

The most important thing to remember is that DO NOT interrupt the updating process, which usually takes about a minute or so. Be sure of your power and that it won't cutoff in the middle of a flash.

I personally have never heard of "hundreds of people" and their BIOS updates failing. I have heard of a few, but very few and far between. If it was such a difficult and risky process then I don't think that the motherboard makers would offer the updates in the "Download" sections of their websites.

Once you've done it, you'll say to yourself: "Wow! That was easy!"
Thank you. I just downloaded the BIOS file and the Flash Utility from the ASUS website but the utility is not supported for Win 7 x64...

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Use the ASUS EZ FLASH 2 utility that is located as part of the BIOS. Very similar to the Gigabyte BIOS updater in the BIOS.

Much, much safer than doing a BIOS update through Windows, which all experts heartily recommend against using.

Go to page 43 in your ASUS motherboard manual or use the attached screen capture to see what I'm talking about.

Ask a Question